Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! Engine Misfire, Cyl 2, 4 and 6... and CEL

thelord4034

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve Omega sadan 2007
i had the same problem and i did all of what they said here nothing was fixed and no one here got it right nor did the holden tech wanted to charge me $185 just to put it on the computer without doing anything to it, after days and weeks of checking things in my car I find it was my drivers side Holden Cam Position Sensor Solenoid Alloytec VE 3.6l V6 ($177 from holden in stock) your's might be the check it out by removing the connector and start the car see if the problem is there ok the cam sensor is the plug closest to the water pump Holden Cam Position Sensor Solenoid is the outer side ones its in like an L sharp with the plug pointing up and the bolt hole to the side of it

Jimmymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 sv6 wagon
i had the same problem and i did all of what they said here nothing was fixed and no one here got it right nor did the holden tech wanted to charge me $185 just to put it on the computer without doing anything to it, after days and weeks of checking things in my car I find it was my drivers side Holden Cam Position Sensor Solenoid Alloytec VE 3.6l V6 ($177 from holden in stock) your's might be the check it out by removing the connector and start the car see if the problem is there ok the cam sensor is the plug closest to the water pump Holden Cam Position Sensor Solenoid is the outer side ones its in like an L sharp with the plug pointing up and the bolt hole to the side of it
I think you may be right mate, my 09 sv6 just randomly started playing up with misfires and sounding like a rattly diesel. Cleared the codes let it sit for half hour and drive it and it doesnt miss a beat. Got told it was the timming chain.. really hoping its not. I took the 4 solenoids out and they were pretty gunked up so just cleaned them for now and did an oil change. Took it for a 20 min drive and no hickups so far.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can get cam position sensors and actuators from the US for a fraction of local prices. You might even get faster delivery.

N costa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf

maweida

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6
Hi everyone,
The car is a ve commodore V6 and it started misfiring. The fault code started as P0302 ( the 2 is for piston 2 , and the code is misfire). After a few minutes all even cylinders started misfiring P0304 and P0306, 4 and 6 piston. Note, I can confirm that piston 1 is driver side front and piston 2 Is passenger side front and so on. The mechanic found a faulty valve spring (lost compression) and replaced it. Issue fixed

Last edited:

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Anyone workout what this was?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The last sentence says “broken/faulty valve spring”.

Dean1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey everyone, i have just solved this in my 2010 SV6.... have replaced coils, plugs, chemically cleaned cats, cleaned intake valve carbon, still shutting down passenger bank 246. in the end.... it was my passenger side chain tensioner. so i did a full timing set and it has been smooth sailing ever since! ive also learned through all my hunting that its the same issue for drivers bank 135, however its caused by the PCV valve at the rear of drivers rocker cover blocking with carbon and causing an engine pressure issue. anyway, just wanted to let you know my rectification as it seems some stuck or spending to much chasing! cheers.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey everyone, i have just solved this in my 2010 SV6.... have replaced coils, plugs, chemically cleaned cats, cleaned intake valve carbon, still shutting down passenger bank 246. in the end.... it was my passenger side chain tensioner. so i did a full timing set and it has been smooth sailing ever since! ive also learned through all my hunting that its the same issue for drivers bank 135, however its caused by the PCV valve at the rear of drivers rocker cover blocking with carbon and causing an engine pressure issue. anyway, just wanted to let you know my rectification as it seems some stuck or spending to much chasing! cheers.
Good find. Although frustrating going through those things to find it, none are a waste. The car will be tip top.

There is a fix for the PCV.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-and-ve-alloytec-pcv-problem-fix.279039/