Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP: Few Issues with my VY SS LS1

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey all, having a few issues with the new SS at the moment,

-When starting from cold, it seems to idle VERY high (over 1k, around 1200rpm I would say), once the cars warmed up it seems to settle itself back down again if I start it while the engines warm, I guess it would be worth while to note that when it does idle high cold the car (in particular the exhaust which is a 1.5" redback) seems to sound terrible..

-Coolant just dissappearing, going through stages where I fill the overflow up, check it a month later and need to re-fill it? But I park on concrete and have no visible coolant leaks on the ground (only oil from the rear main sigh.....) so I have no idea where it's going? Not sure whether coincidence on not but it seems to be worse at the disappearing act when I use my heaters more? Not sure..

If any of you other LS1 lovers could help me in the right direction to get these issues sorted that would be fantastic!

Cheers,
Nick

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Idle seems normal 1200rpm at cold start and gradually comes down when warming up.

How often you refilling the coolant? Checked the radiator for any cracks? Check your oil for any mixtures.

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
The idle on the LS1 does sound a tad high on cooler mornings. Does it sound like its misfiring?
As for the coolant, I'd be getting underneath it and pulling covers off etc as the leak may be masked by the metal cover that is underneath. You may need a light for those hard to reach/darker areas.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
If you find no leaks, Replace the Radiator cap, I had the same issue with my V6, Coolant just disappearing, Top up each month, Replaced the cap, No dramas since.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Cheers for the replies, fellas. Should have mentioned have replaced the cap will have to get it on a hoist and have a real good look for leaks..

Regarding PCM reset, can someone direct on me on a certain way to do it? Seems to be 1000 different methods to reset it :p almost sounds like a misfire, any way to look into it further?

Cheers

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
LS1 Computer Reset and Idle Relearn Procedure

1. Temp above 80degrees, turn off the car.

2. Turn ignition to "on", remove the PCM fuse, labelled F31-the ENG. CONT/BCM fuse, red 10amp fuse.

3. Wait 20 seconds or beep and turn off.

4. Replace the fuse

5. Turn reds on, pump pedal full range up and down 5 times, turn off and start it.

6. Shift into Drive and let it idle for 5 mins then shift into Park and let it idle for 5 mins.

Note: Make sure AC/Climate control is OFF.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i'd say the exhaust is a bit on the tiny side too..

1.5" is smaller than the factory system

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Sorry, typo exhaust is 2.5" :p

Cheers for PCM instructions, the my SS is a manual though what's the replacement for putting it in drive? Take it for a spin round the block?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
With a manual, throw it in gear and let it idle for 5 mins.

When doing the relearn procedure, idle will move up and down for a few mins until it finds itself.

Turn it off for a minute so, then go for a drive. Should be all sweet after that.