Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help fitting towbar

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi, I recently got my hands on a towbar for my vn wagon. I simply cant put my head around how it bolts up underneath. I can see the mounting holes either side under the car, but when looking at the towbar you can see the bolts heads seat on the top and a nut at the bottom? hows does that affix to the car?

I included a picture so you can get a better idea, If anybody has done this before, please enlighten me. Thanks

Attachments

• b6_12.JPG
    b6_12.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,695
H

HATER VP

Ive removed a few, but never put one in. It dosent look like a fun job.
Years ago when I was working at a Toyota dealership they used to fit them following a set of instructions. Every model was different and had provisions for the genuine kit. I didnt like to get involved in that stuff

H

HATER VP

What you need is someone with same car and tow bar set up to messure where the holes are.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
HATER VP said:
What you need is someone with same car and tow bar set up to messure where the holes are.

It already has the holes there in the frame rails on the car (its a factory towbar), The bolts cant simply screw into them can they? I cant think of any other way, its not like i can get inside the frame rails to do the nut up or put the bolt through as seen in the photo, its got a bolt with a nut, one way or another i wont be able to access whatever end of the bolt is inside the frame rail to tighten it up

Its got me stumped

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
2 person job, unless you use a jack to hold the towbar in place while you put the bolts in. The nuts are usually welded to the towbar so that the nut wont fall off if it manages to come undone(i have never heard of them coming undone)

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
maginoodle said:
2 person job, unless you use a jack to hold the towbar in place while you put the bolts in. The nuts are usually welded to the towbar so that the nut wont fall off if it manages to come undone(i have never heard of them coming undone)

The holes for the bolts are on the chassis rails, how do I "put the bolts in" when I have no access from the other side of the hole?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
After some brainstorming, If i take the rear bumper off, will the open ends of the chassis rails be visible? Then I could have access to the inside of the mounting holes:dance:

potshots007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
that would most likely be your best bet

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just letting ya know, the towbar went on without any trouble, it took about 2 hours, Had to drill some holes in the top cargo bay area on each side above the chassis rails for the bolt holes but all went well :dance: