Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! Head Unit leading to battery drain!

NoTimeForBreakfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong forum but recently I've installed a Kenwood DDX4018bt head-unit into my 2005 VZ SV6 and all was great until I noticed a few days later it drained the battery, so I changed it up and alas, it drained again. Not only does it seem to be drawing current but everytime I start my car back up it factory resets and loses all prior memory (time, language, by connections etc.)

Just from surfing Google I've come to the conclusion it's either not grounded properly or there's a poor connection between the yellow wires, could anyone confirm before I do too much more? Currently I have the head-unit unplugged as I fear it draining the battery overnight leaving me stranded for work.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Sounds like your permenant + and acc + is round the wrong way on your head unit.

NoTimeForBreakfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Cheers for the reply ephect, I'm gonna go out in the next hour and redo all the wiring making sure it's secure, and I'll try swapping my yellow and red wires (permanent and acc) after doing a voltage reading of each one. If you've got any tips on how to tell they're the wrong way around without doing the readings I'd love to know, some people suggest seeing if the head unit turns on without putting the key in ignition so I'm gonna try that as well. I'll keep you updated if it seems to resolve itself! :)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If Ur head unit is losing its settings every time U switch the car off perm and acc are round the wrong way.

With the key off, the acc wire won't be live. So U can test if you have a test light or multimeter

NoTimeForBreakfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Cheers Ephect, I followed yours and the internet's advice and swapped them around, did the trick beautifully I felt so wrong going against the installation manual but so far so good, and since changing it yesterday I've monitored the battery voltage which has definitely stayed more constant (despite slight drops during colder nights), as well as the head unit is keeping it's memory which is handy. Cheers for the advice bud!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
No probs, glad you got it sorted. Nothing worse than a dead battery