Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help help help. vr motor change now no auto works

peterfishboat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr vs vz
help with a issue please.a young guy at work has put a newish motor in a vr using old loom. has now lost the auto and wont drive. has reverse lights when in reverse and everything is connected. he did split the converter and has sperated again to make sure its locked in. motor runs fine and removed tranny pipes while running and not pumping fluid. i asume the convertor is the problem but before i pull it out just thought to ask you young guys in the no if there is a error code i should be looking for. thanks for any help you can give a old timmer:l

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
One assumes it is full of oil and not just 'topped up":unsure: Was the newish motor an Ecotec?...if it was then there will be other problems as the VR runs the 'buick' engine which has less electronics. But do the codes check first.
Good Luck.

peterfishboat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr vs vz
tes thanks for getting back to me and it is a buick motor vr to vr transplant and all oils are full

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
tes thanks for getting back to me and it is a buick motor vr to vr transplant and all oils are full

Are you sure the trans has enough fluid? Did the gear box work before the change?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think it would be the oil pump not pumping for some reason or other....no funny noises when idling like tinny rattling?.....trans wasn't dropped hard on ground when changing engine causing oil filter to dislodge and prevent oil pickup?...bellhousing bolted to engine with no problems like needing to be forced those last few mm?.....done a codes check yet? Are you triply sure the oil level is correct as a lot would have been lost when the converter was disconnected.

peterfishboat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr vs vz
thanks guys 4 getting back to me . ok ill start with he drove the car untill transplant. he removed the motor and trans then splitt them but forgot about converter bolts. with my instructions over the phone i went through step by step to install converter and locking it to pump. so after he told me it wouldnt drive i went around to have a look and removed flex cover undid the converter bolts as was able to move converter back in pump with a screwdriver so im assuming its seated properly. then i undid trans lines to radiator to check for fluid ... none.. so im pretty sure he droped converter hard on ground or something along those lines... im sure pump will work even with error codes.BUT i may be wrong. my next question would be would a error code stop the pump. unlikely but ill ask anyway. when its running there are no noises and when reverse is selected we have reverse lights. i went through how to do error codes with him and he said that the thermo fan cut in??????? dont no what the hell that is . iwill go 2morrowand check.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The thermo fan will cut in when doing this test.Its normal.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
does the fluid level go down with engine running compaired to cold engine off? if it doesn't then the pump isn't working. Id first be dropping the pan and check over everything, the filter could have dropped a bit so it's not sucking oil up anymore.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like you will have to remove trans and reinsert converter to bellhousing/pump ensuring it is fully seated and does not slip out when bolting up. Keep you fingers crossed that the locating tangs are not damaged. Re codes, not sure if they start recording without VSS registering speed so there may be none (not that it really matters). Brett or The1 should know when codes can be logged. Good Luck.

djvass

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS BT1 SS 5ltr original
thanks guys 4 getting back to me . ok ill start with he drove the car untill transplant. he removed the motor and trans then splitt them but forgot about converter bolts. with my instructions over the phone i went through step by step to install converter and locking it to pump. so after he told me it wouldnt drive i went around to have a look and removed flex cover undid the converter bolts as was able to move converter back in pump with a screwdriver so im assuming its seated properly. then i undid trans lines to radiator to check for fluid ... none.. so im pretty sure he droped converter hard on ground or something along those lines... im sure pump will work even with error codes.BUT i may be wrong. my next question would be would a error code stop the pump. unlikely but ill ask anyway. when its running there are no noises and when reverse is selected we have reverse lights. i went through how to do error codes with him and he said that the thermo fan cut in??????? dont no what the hell that is . iwill go 2morrowand check.

With the buick the thermo turns on when you run the error code test, i guess it is a good way to no you have got the right pins. Codes will log as soon as the computer relise's there is something not connected right when the ignition is turned to fire the car up.