Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help how do i change gear shift

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I replaced mine with a Leather one, the metal shaft has 'teeth' so you will need to lift & pull back as mentioned above. After market knobs tend to be more for manuals Ive found. The one auto ones Ive seen I doubt would fit on the commodore.

singhy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2 3.8L Automatic
hi. ive got a 96 VS series 2 executive commodore, im also interested in puttin in an aftermarket gearknob, my m8 is selling me 1 but the only thing is i hav no bludy idea how to put the damn thing in lol. so can ne1 pls explain in more detail how to take off the old one and put in the after market one. the aftermarket one im buyin is like a cylinder shape with a big silver button on the top, its a chrome blue with a brushed button. im just wondering how the inside of the knob will connect to the trans rod and everything. a few of my m8s said ill have to take apart the whole centre concole and go right down to the trans and hav to muck around with the rods down there.

singhy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2 3.8L Automatic
I was browsing through ebay for a gear knob for my VS and i come across a valuable piece of information which has answered a few of my wandering thoughts and mat also answer yours. "Will fit most automatic cars... but please check that you don't have an overdrive button on the gear shift lever. Also, this gear knob will not fit cars that utilise a lift button (some cars do not push down to change gear, but lift up instead, eg VR, VS commodore).. This was for a chrome gear knob with a big chrome button on the top. Thought it may come in handy for some one.