Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP!! How to Replace soild fuel lines.

Cossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Hey guys,

I would really appreciate any advice as I think I am (know I am) in over my head...,our VY started smelling of fumes recently so I replaced the fuel cap, checked the breather hoses etc but no luck.

It was slight but progressively got quite strong so I refused to let my wife drive it. I took it around a mates house yesterday as I'm not very car savvy (I do my best and am learning). we discovered that the return solid fuel Line has been rubbing against the steering rod and has scalloped out the fuel line so bad that it is spraying fuel into the engine bay!!

I haven't been able to find any info on what the next step would be or how rooted the car is...,

I have a long list of questions (sorry)

Do I have to replace all of the solid lines (brakes lines as well)?
Can I get someone to patch and redoing the Ali fuel line? - I'm thinking no being fuel...
Is it an impossible job due to all the bends etc?
Can I get from a wreckers?
Any idea why on earth the fuel line was rubbing against the steering?

First step is finally getting a workshop manual.

I would really appreciate any help or advice as we can't really afford much atm, and there is no way my kids are going near that car until it is fixed!!

Cheers guys!

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It's better that it's the return line rather than the high pressure line.

You can just replace the return line, it isn't all that difficult, but it takes a bit of time and can be fiddly.

You'll need to buy a return line from a wreckers. Last return and high pressure lines I purchased cost $6

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
If its the metal line cut out that section on put on a bit of high pressure rubber hose with a worm clamp on each end

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If its the metal line cut out that section on put on a bit of high pressure rubber hose with a worm clamp on each end
This is exactly what not to do.

If you have access to a double flaring tool, you can make a bubble flare on each end and then join it with two efi hose clamps clamps on either end. Never use normal worm drive hose clamps on fuel or transmission lines.

Still, you're better off fixing it properly the first time.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If it's the fuel return line then it should be OK to cut out the damaged bit, flare the ends and use a section of EFI rubber hose and the correct clamps.
I've got a 98 Pulsar and it uses rubber hose and clamps on the fuel line from the pump tot he engine to connect the fuel filter so if it's done properly and prevented from rubbing on anything it should be OK.
If you want to go to the trouble of replacing the whole line then it's not a bad idea but it's not going to be an easy job.
Proper hose and clamps are;
http://www.dayco.com.au/products.aspx?G=16002217&P=16027765
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...-16-Per-Metre.aspx?pid=104897#Recommendations
http://www.autobarn.net/iddifuincl.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/2ongag/rubber_hose_fuel_line_repair_95_toyota_camry/

Can't think of why it would rub on the steering unless it's been bent somehow?
Can you post a picture of the damage?

Cossi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
thanks heaps guys, i have been away for work.

i couldnt upload a photo as im not familiar witht the process. it looks like it has had an impact bending the fuel lines a few cms.... :-/

i think i have it sorted now as a mate is going to cut and re join the two sections with propper hydrolic / fuel line connections. probably overkill but he has the parts so eary done. :) thanks again...