Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help { hydratrac diff }

go fast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve ss 6.0 litre
hi there everyone,im not[[ boosting]]about this! it is a simple question i need to get some help with. i did a standing start burnout in a straight line the otherday,i turned the car around to go back and have a look a the rubber on the road,it looked like this. in first gear the two wheels spun second gear both where spinning i got into third gear and it went into a single spinner,would anybody know if this is the way the hydrtrac diff works it seems strange to me as it seems the lsd stopped working for some reason

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
hi there everyone,im not[[ boosting]]about this! it is a simple question i need to get some help with. i did a standing start burnout in a straight line the otherday,i turned the car around to go back and have a look a the rubber on the road,it looked like this. in first gear the two wheels spun second gear both where spinning i got into third gear and it went into a single spinner,would anybody know if this is the way the hydrtrac diff works it seems strange to me as it seems the lsd stopped working for some reason

From my limited knowledge, a Hydratrak differential is a LSD. However, it's a speed sensitive rather than torque sensitive LSD

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride

Hydratrak limited-slip differential uses a cartridge-type
fluid coupling, which progressively and smoothly increases torque transfer to
the wheel with traction. This is in direct response to the reactive speed
difference between the wheel with traction and the opposing, faster rotating
wheel -- the wheel that is slipping. Thus, the more one wheel slips, the more
useful traction that is transferred to the opposing wheel.

The standard holden/BW lsd is a plate-type (act just like little sprung clutch plates) that locks up fairly rapidly and sharply if one wheel spins faster than the other. They can be taken out and torqued up tighter if you want less slip before it starts turning the other wheel as well. The downside is that they lock up just as sharply at low speed, which the viscous type don't, so the rear drifts out more easily if you provoke it in a corner at low speed - but fun as long as you're ready for it!

go fast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve ss 6.0 litre
so is my diff working correctly if you know

go fast

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ve ss 6.0 litre
buy the way thanks for the reply and the infomation about the hydratrac diff

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
no worries nelson.....i
buy the way thanks for the reply and the infomation about the hydratrac diff
have a good 1////best wishes
yes shes working prop as far as i can work out from what you have said......best wishes