Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Help...I searched and couldn't find the answer to my OTRCAI "issue"

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
Hey guys!

I searched through all the OTRCAI pages I could find (took me an hour of searching), couldn't find the answer.....anyhoo......

Here is my problem. My PCM is off getting a mailorder tune done on it, and I figured it would be a good time to install the OTRCAI I purchased a few months back. It wasn't a cheap one, but not an expensive one either. I can't seem to get it to fit. The top of the A/C condensor seems to be in the way and I can't get the damn thing in there!! :bang: I have already removed the plastic radiator shield thingy, as well as the air box, maf, intake pipe etc. Am I doing something wrong or is there a simple fix to this?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!! PS it is for a VXII Berlina LS1

troytroy2

Reaction score
Members Ride
YII Clubsport R8
The black plastic top part (a 6mm lip) on top of the radiator probably needs to be trimmed (filed, cut sanded back) to get an extra 6mm of space on top of the radiator. This is commonly required for most, if not all OTRCAI. Whether this is part of your AC condensor problem is difficult without seeing the problem.

What part of the OTRCAI is hitting the AC Condensor? If it's the actual lower end of the airfilter part then there might be a problem....if it's only part of an air scoop shroud into the OTR (some designs have this) then it might just need trimming to fit??

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
Hey guys!

I searched through all the OTRCAI pages I could find (took me an hour of searching), couldn't find the answer.....anyhoo......

Here is my problem. My PCM is off getting a mailorder tune done on it, and I figured it would be a good time to install the OTRCAI I purchased a few months back. It wasn't a cheap one, but not an expensive one either. I can't seem to get it to fit. The top of the A/C condensor seems to be in the way and I can't get the damn thing in there!! :bang: I have already removed the plastic radiator shield thingy, as well as the air box, maf, intake pipe etc. Am I doing something wrong or is there a simple fix to this?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!! PS it is for a VXII Berlina LS1

Common problem when fitting an OTR is the air con condensor sitting to high, Get a block of wood and hammer and gently tap the top of the condensor down 10mm or so to get the clearance needed. Done this a couple of times now works well just take your time and be gentle.

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
^^ how did you go had a chance to give it a try yet?

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
Used both tricks you guys suggested and it is now in and workly nicely! Thanks heaps!!

Cool did you find it easy enough to do with out going overboard and smashing the air-con condensor?:beer chug: