Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help identifying a spider

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
you know I think vr94ss has a good pic there and it is identical to your spider.
I am saying "Sydney trapdoor, commonly confused with a funnel web", but I beleive they can still give a good bite. Not the sort of thing you want in your bedroom.

Cheers

Dan

I'm pretty sure trapdoors are harmless to people. I wouldn't want to get bitten by any spider though;)

Just googled and on FREE Australian Spiders Identification Chart they says:
Venom toxicity - the bite of the Trap-Door Spider is of low risk (non toxic) to humans. It is a non-aggressive spider - usually timid but may stand up and present it's fangs if harassed. Rarely bites - but if so it can be painful.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah, dont get me wrong a trap door will mess you up if you got bitten, but they will run away from a fight before they bite.

and surface spray sadly wont do much to get rid of em, they dont really use antennaie the same as roaches or ants and they dont eat stuff they find so wont ingest it. also they mostly up high, in roof awnings etc. so your gonna need a loooot of spray

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
yeah, dont get me wrong a trap door will mess you up if you got bitten, but they will run away from a fight before they bite.

and surface spray sadly wont do much to get rid of em, they dont really use antennaie the same as roaches or ants and they dont eat stuff they find so wont ingest it. also they mostly up high, in roof awnings etc. so your gonna need a loooot of spray

They live up high in the rafters?? I'm pretty sure they live in burrows in the ground;) The torrential rain probably brought them out.

Attachments

• Trap_door_spider.jpg
    Trap_door_spider.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 6,532

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Looks more like a trapdoor than a funnelweb to me and it has the boxing glove palps that a trapdoor has.

Piccy of one: http://www.ozanimals.com/image/albums/australia/Spider/sydney-brown-trapdoor-spider-m.jpg

If you've had a lot of rain it's certainly make them get out of their burrows.

I'd say that's a winner! Thanks for that, I can rest a little easier now I suppose :) The thing that freaks me a bit about funnel webs is that they come looking for you, not like most spiders that'll only bite you if they're cornered.

i like your photos!

Thanks Levy, extension tubes are great for poor-mans macro shots :)

Thanks again to everyone.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Lol, was trying to look at the small picture without clicking so was up real close to the screen and then clicked on it and it came up so big and scary looking it made me jump and i fell of my chair.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
and i fell of my chair.

lol, spiders are our friends. as long as we dont mess with them, they make beautiful webs which glisten in the morning dew and catch flies and other critters for free that we pump harmful insecticides into our atmosphere to kill.
(god that sounds like hippie crap)
the should be admired and respected at arms reach IMO.

the only spider i would actively kill is a white-tail as they are an introduced species and their venom is not even worth the risk of having in your house. plus they kill other non-venomous native spiders, which pisses me off.

here in vic we dont really see funnel webs, just redbacks and they dont attack.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
I'd say that's a winner! Thanks for that, I can rest a little easier now I suppose :) The thing that freaks me a bit about funnel webs is that they come looking for you, not like most spiders that'll only bite you if they're cornered.

Not only that the bastards(funnelwebs) can bite through leather shoes! That'd make me afraid to even try and stomp them to goo.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
lol, spiders are our friends. as long as we dont mess with them, they make beautiful webs which glisten in the morning dew and catch flies and other critters for free that we pump harmful insecticides into our atmosphere to kill.
(god that sounds like hippie crap)
the should be admired and respected at arms reach IMO.

the only spider i would actively kill is a white-tail as they are an introduced species and their venom is not even worth the risk of having in your house. plus they kill other non-venomous native spiders, which pisses me off.

here in vic we dont really see funnel webs, just redbacks and they dont attack.

I agree with everything you said except the white tailed spiders. Spiders are our friends, I don't kill them and if we get ones that are too big to have inside 'cause the kids used to freak, I'd take 'em out side and let 'em go.

White tailed spiders are native to Australia though. They shouldn't cop your wrath, they are as good as the rest. I do kill Redbacks though.. or bolt them under my commy;)

edit: I kill redbacks 'cause they hide in dark corners/containers/pipes where you stick your hands and don't see them. They can stay outa my shed and boxes of stuff.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
I kill ALL spiders.... I do not and never will care what they do for the "environment" I care about what they do to mine, and that includes one of my boys collecting them in his pockets, me screaming and then all hell breaks loose!

I'm sure there are some tapped in the head people who like them lol, I am not one of them, neither is my sister who will have anxiety attacks until she see's "the body" DEAD of course.

If anyone of those tapped in the head people live local and like redbacks, my shed is padlocked and I will gladly hand you the keys if you wish to come kill.... errm I mean collect them...

Now I shall run away from thread before more alive spidey pictures show up.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
I kill ALL spiders.... I do not and never will care what they do for the "environment" I care about what they do to mine, and that includes one of my boys collecting them in his pockets, me screaming and then all hell breaks loose!

I'm sure there are some tapped in the head people who like them lol, I am not one of them, neither is my sister who will have anxiety attacks until she see's "the body" DEAD of course.

If anyone of those tapped in the head people live local and like redbacks, my shed is padlocked and I will gladly hand you the keys if you wish to come kill.... errm I mean collect them...

Now I shall run away from thread before more alive spidey pictures show up.

Are your spidey senses tingling? hehe;)