Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help identifying strange noise

Dozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB ONE TONNA
Can anyone help me at least narrow down what they think this noise might be. I dont have a clue where to start looking, I have been under the car and nothing seems to be loose or rattle.

It occurs when driving.....the faster the car goes the faster the ticking/rattling seems to be to the point when your at about 80k's its hard to hear coz its going so faster. As you slow down the noise also slows, and if your just coasting ( without foot on the accelerator) its a constant tick tick tick tick, the bit that confuses me is the moment you touch the brakes at any stage, it completley stops. It happens on straights, corners everything. It seems to come from the rear of the car, but I cant be certain.

I do need my engine mounts replaced and are getting done next week, could that have anything to do with it??? Best noise to liken it too I spose is when one of ya ######## mates sticks a flap of duct tape to ya wheel, but that was the first thing I checked for.

Any help would be good guys, its driving me mad.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
not read op correctly. brake related I would think. Time to pull the wheels off and have a look

Last edited:

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
When you touch the brakes is the car still moving,you might have a loose caliper or a brake pad the clip might have popped out

Dozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB ONE TONNA
When you touch the brakes is the car still moving,you might have a loose caliper or a brake pad the clip might have popped out

yeah mate, as soon as I hit the brakes, even as its still moving or starting to slow down the noise disappears......could it be a brake pad or caliper?

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
The only way to find out is to take the wheels off and have a look at the brakes,also check all the bushes they might be worn out and there might be a part thats metal to metal

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
lol the noise wouldnt stop when he brakes if it was a rock or nail

i reckon something is loose in your rear brakes

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
wheel bearings?

Dozer

Reaction score
Members Ride
WB ONE TONNA
so i took the rear wheel off and sure enough, the spring clip that holds the outside pad to the caliper is busted, so the pad is just rattling around.

What are my options here guys?
Can I just remove the caliper, take the brake pad out and replace the spring clip? Or is it more complicated than that? Does the pad need to be replaced or can I just replace the clip? I hope I dont have to bleed the brakes or anything either.