Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help install CATCH CAN - L77 VE SS 6L

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
Bought a SAAS catch can for my L77 6.0L VE SS and can't figure out how to install it. I was surprised how the quality looks to be pretty good for $130 so I bought it. I'll fill with filter media possibly some steel wool or something similar. It's non-vented for emissions reasons.

To ensure I route all crankcase PCV air through the catch can what hoses do I need to route into it?

The catch can has one inlet and one outlet. I took some pics of the PCV system hoses - I think they're the right hoses in the system?
  • (pic with #1) this hose runs from the drivers side front of rocker cover vent to the OTR intake (pic with #4).
  • (pic with #2) inlet manifold front connection point for plastic hose that runs to the rear of the passenger side rocker cover (pic with #3)
Appreciate advice if you've done this right!

Attachments

• saas-catch-can.JPG
    saas-catch-can.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 506
  • saas-catch-can.jpg
    saas-catch-can.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 544
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 941
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 636
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 649
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 732
Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Is the can empty inside? No baffle? Make sure you use stainless steel wool so it doesn't rust at all if you add it to the can.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just have to do the valley outlet into the catch then out to behind the TB, the rocker vent isn't as bad for oil as it dosnt have vacuum to it

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
Is the can empty inside? No baffle? Make sure you use stainless steel wool so it doesn't rust at all if you add it to the can.
Yep, I have some stainless steel wool as filter media.

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
just have to do the valley outlet into the catch then out to behind the TB, the rocker vent isn't as bad for oil as it dosnt have vacuum to it
So where's the valley outlet on 6L is that at the rear/front of the valley? Do I have a hose connected to it in my pics?

So out from the can into throttle body?

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
front of valley the small curled hose from valley to the manifold just after the tb, just do the same as it does now but go thru the catch can

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It seems to be at the front where the small curved hose goes back under from the throttle body. I was only looking at it in the manual tonight

*edit 07 beat me to it by “that much”

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If it was me I would connect all 3, heads and valley, to that can, and connect the can to the intake for some vacuum

The less pressure in the crank case the less change of blowing rear main seals

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Trying to figure out where #2 is. That looks like the MAP sensor, but isn’t that on the back?

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
Trying to figure out where #2 is. That looks like the MAP sensor, but isn’t that on the back?
Here's a better picture of number 2 - just ducked into the garage and took a better photo.

The yellow arrow points at the throttle body connection with hose that comes from the rear of passenger side rocker cover.

Look closely .... the red arrow points to a red blanking cap on a connector that comes from the valley cover under the manifold. I installed a DOD delete kit and the valley cover, well i never took the red blanking cap off the hose connection point into the valley cause I didn't know what it was for. I think in the LS3 or 6.2L there's a curly hose that connects onto the red blanking cap on the valley cover, and then to where the yellow arrow connects my hose in the side of the throttle body... maybe that's what the other guys are saying here?

If I didn't have a catch can I think the red blanking cap should be connected with a hose where my yellow arrow is, this way the crankcase fumes get sucked through the valley cover into the throttle body? Hopefully didn't confuse you all :)

Attachments

• 20210625_212810_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    20210625_212810_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 549
Last edited: