Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help installing swaybar link pins

Timzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
URGENT HELP - installing swaybar link pin

Well one of my front swaybar link pins snapped the other day, i got new ones, but i am unsure how to replace them, i jacked it up and pulled the wheel off, it seemed easy enough, but i cant get it on because the swaybar sits too high when its jacked up, does it need to be on ramps or something? how would one go about moving the swaybar down, or is it just put lots of force on it?

Last edited:

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Easyest way is to use two jacks and a block of wood. Lower the jack holding the car up down so the cars level and place the block of wood on the second jack and place it under the suspension arm (Be carefull where you do this. there is a place to do it but is hard to explain) & place a small amount of load on it by jacking. Not too much, as all you are trying to do is make the car sit as though the wheel is on the car. The sway bar will have no flex or load when the car is leveled out.

Jezz

Timzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
yeah i thought id have to do something like this but i still have no idea in my head where to put the blocks of wood and jacks :? i can get under there with the wheel on with no jacks, but it still just doesent want to go in by about 2 inches. :? help :/

Timzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Ok guys i got some pics to help so you know what i mean, i tried doing as 'knowledge_is_power' said, by placing a second jack under the suspension arm, but that diddnt jack it up enough, it was still off by 2 inches, need help!

Last edited:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Try putting another jack under the strut and jacking it up until the pin goes in. Also make sure the left and right pins are the same length.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
You probly don't want to know this now put there is a different style of link pin you can purchase that is a "S" shape in around about way. As you can see there is a slight alinment issue when the wheels are turned and this is want causes bent and broken pins. They went to a ball joint link pin on the VX to fix the problem.

Come to think off it, I might have had both the front wheels off the ground with the front end on car stands. The more I think about it I'm sure thats how I did it as it will even it out for you.

Jezz

Timzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Well i finally did it, but not the way i expected, i had to jack up the oppisite side, which put more weight on the right side suspension so the link pin could reach, had to do it with the wheel on to, was tricky, but i done it.