Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! leaking coolant high from motor

poolzanator

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE sv6 manual ute
Got a leak somewhere high in the motor, where could this be coming from? Not coming from radiator hoses!

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Checked around the waterpump? The gaskets can leak after some time if no gasket maker was used on them... or the waterpump can leak from the bearing
A good way to source the leak would be to use some degreaser and clean the engine up nicely. Then the leak will be really obvious.

Good luck.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
If you are using the usual green glycol coolant it will glow under a white led torch in the dark and make finding leaks easy

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
inlet manifold is always a likely culprit

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
external leak from inlet manifold, thermostat gasket/ housing, water pump, or that little pipe that comes out the side of the water pump there is 2 o rings on that, that fail. get a white light / black light and have a poke around. where on the motor is it? front or back?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
another weak point is the plastic fitting for the by-pass hose above the water pump. There's an identical fitting for a heater hose on the back of the inlet manifold for a heater hose. They can be replaced with brass fittings. The plastic ones usually break up when you try to remove them but they're not too hard to pry out

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Got a leak somewhere high in the motor, where could this be coming from? Not coming from radiator hoses!

Is it a VR (L27) or VS (L36)? Leaking front or rear? Big difference for likely leaks. The L36 doesn't have those crappy plastic manifold adapters that VP rob mentioned.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Is it a VR (L27) or VS (L36)? Leaking front or rear? Big difference for likely leaks. The L36 doesn't have those crappy plastic manifold adapters that VP rob mentioned.
I forgot I was on the VR/VS forum (I use VN/VP and VR/VS because my ride is a VP with a VR(6) transplant) but when I look at the original question I see that Poolzanator lists his ride as a VT in which case it's an ecotech (obviously)... unless it's a V8? He doesn't give any other info. Maybe he asked his question in the wrong forum and that's why we haven't had any response. This forum works so well for me because people exchange knowledge- it's a 2-way thing