Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help lowering 1994 vr sedan

holden_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive
Hey just need some advice with lowering my vr, I am wanting to put sl's in the front and rear and I am wondering if I need to do the shocks in the the front and rear

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you want it to be nice to drive and have reasonable handling, get shortened shocks. Otherwise, as long as the springs in the rear are trapped, you shouldn't have a problem with standard shocks if funds are an issue

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Do a job right or don't do it at all in my opinion

Keeping the standard shocks will cause the car to bounce around and ride like crap, which not only is annoying to drive but can sometimes dangerous to both you and other road users on real rough roads

(And if the authorities see it bouncing around you will get defected with no hesitation, and that will cost you a lot more than a set of shocks)

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
From what Ive heard sl's dont even need new shocks or struts because they barely even lower the car so it doesnt make it any bumpier (type in sl springs for some example pictures of the height you'll get) but new shocks and struts will make the ride way smoother than the 20ish year old factory ones, so if youre doing the springs may aswell do them aswell, you can get full kits with front and rear lowered springs with lowered shocks and struts for about 700 from memory

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
King springs recommends shortened shocks with Superlows and lower, I had superlows in my old VS and even with decent shocks it was rough, and they do give a decent drop. (King Spring claims SL will give at least a good 40mm drop which when you look in terms of height from the body is quite a lot)

King Spring Lows don't need shortened shocks as they are around FE2 height.

I think people underestimate super lows, they just look at the wheel arch eye brow not how much the rest of the car/driveline has dropped and how far the springs have compressed, yes SL doesn't look like it fill the guards that much but it drops the whole body of the car a pretty decent amount.... without the correct shocks for the springs, you are asking for trouble.

I see plenty of tight ass P platers and bogans drop their cars on SL's or lower with factory shocks and then watch the cars clunk, rattle and bounce around.....but they don't care because it's "hectic", Struts and shocks aren't that expensive if you shop around online, when it comes to suspension and braking don't be a tight ass

Last edited:

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
King springs recommends shortened shocks with Superlows and lower, I had superlows in my old VS and even with decent shocks

I think people underestimate super lows, they just look at the wheel arch eye brow not how much the rest of the car/driveline has dropped and how far the springs have compressed, yes SL doesn't look like it fill the guards that much but it drops the whole body of the car a pretty decent amount.... without the correct shocks for the springs, you are asking for trouble.

yeah thats true you only really look at the guard to tire height and dont really take into account how much the whole car has dropped, but with saying that to do the job properly he should be getting a wheel alignment and replacing all the worn out bushes and stuff aswell, plus a camber kit if its i.r.s, so really if he was going to actually do it fully legit theres more then just springs and shocks involved, but heaps of people just do the springs and theres no problems

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
FE2 springs with stock length shocks will rattle around when all the weight is off the rear(live axle no idea on IRS )so that will fail a regency test, not to mention could be dangerous
fronts shocks if still stock will need to be replaced as will the top strut bearings and most likely bump stops...just make sense to do it all at the same time...got a quote from pedder's a few weeks ago
for fe2 level fronts,the cost for all the parts came to just over $800...