Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP ME DECIDE 04 285 R8 or 05 297 R8

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 HSV CLUBSPORT NO.356
looking to n buy me a 04 or 05 R8,whats the LS2 like compared to the LS1,does the LS2 have any problems,what do you guys think?

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Where's the poll o_O

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Little more info about each vehicle would be good.... e.g manula/auto, kms, colour, extras etc. etc. etc......

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
i,m looking at a 2004 R8 285 on friday with 172k,s,purple auto.leather all in mint condition for $22,500,or i could spend the extra money and get a 2005 VZ clubby auto with 71k,s for $30,000!!,i'm thinking 172k,s for a well looked after LS1 is nothing and at $22,500 is a good price i think,alot of car for my money.

Darcon666

Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Just my 2c.... Sounds like the VY is a Series II(As it's a 285....) and I love manuals, so it would be this one for me. However the colour is not for me and 172k is a bit much and I would demand to see the documented service history and any repairs done. Having said this... LS2 would be tempting, but the killer for me is the auto.

Look, a car purchase can be a very personal thing... like a girl you like but your mates reckon she is a dog... it's all in the eye on the beholder and personal tastes.

Good luck.
(Disclaimer: My opinioin given here... is just that, MY OPINION only. LOL)

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
this looking for a clubby is starting to do my head in!!,theres to many to chose from,i might even go for a VX clubby,just found one on trademe,131k,s,black,manual,lowered new tyres,over 300kw at the flywheel has been enhanced by some racing outfit tinted windows looks aweasome,service history,quite like the VX,i suppose i will just have to take my time and try and get the best car for the best price with low k,s

94CLUBBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
update had a look at the VY2 R8 yesterday with 172,ks and what a gutless pig!!!,my old Vr clubby is alot quicker with way better throttle response and sounds way better ,i hope there not all like this as this is the first LS1 i,ve driven and not impressed.hopefully the next one i drive has some get up and go!!if that was meant to be 285kw then my vr clubby feels like 320kw maybe more in comparison with that dog of a R8

Darcon666

Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Sound like it's been thrashed... as said "...and 172k is a bit much and I would demand to see the documented service history and any repairs done."

I would have thought that major repairs would have been done like Clutch/Bushes/Steering Rack(s)/Suspension(Shocks at least...)/water pump/radiator/injectors cleaned with diff/gearbox and good possibility as well.

Oh well, move onto the next one.... :D

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
172ks is a bit much but my 2003 VY has 185,000ks and runs like a dream. Just need good previous owners and look after yourself, like i service mine every 5,000, even though it's nothing special.

What you should really look at first is if you want a manual, or an auto. That will narrow your search alot more. Personally, if i was going a Clubby i would definitely go a Manual, but thats MY opinion. People get more power for it to be more sporty, more exhilarating and fun, why ruin it with an auto?

Try get one with service books, and one that hasn't been thrashed.

Good luck.