Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help me decide 3.45 or 3.7

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
i want to do the diff gears im my vp v8 auto but i dont know what to do , i was thinking either 3.45 or 3.7 what im worried about is if i go to 3.45 it might not be enough then ill wish i had of went 3.7s, but then if i go 3.7s im worried it might be a bit much , i do a little bit of highway driving but not alot , im looking for a bit more punch off the line and wen cruzing, im leaning towards the 3.7s but im still not sure

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
i can tell you i am in this same situation, except i don't know whether to go 3.45, 3.7 or 3.9. I'm looking at 3.7 as a nice happy medium, good luck mate

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I have stock 3.7's, and no complaints here.

You really have to take into account your gearbox ratios too though, because its the overall ratio in each gear that really matters.

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
and i love my 3.45s but im manuel

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
For a 304

Standard cam and manifold = 3.45s
Aftermarket cam and manifold = 3.7s :)

In fact standard cam and manifold you may as well keep the 3.08s

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
I bought my car with 3.7's and then changed them to 3.45's. I can tell you I definately regret my decision.

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
true maybe 3.7s are the go then for the autos , ive drove a mates car that had 355 stroker with a solid cam and it has 3.9s i think , it had to much power off the line, u couldnt take off under power with out the tyres making noise and smoke, i know im not comparing apples with apples but it seems 3.9s are to steep specialy for the highway

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
For the record, my stock 3.7 is on a manual.

96SEN8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS and VS Senator 215i
true maybe 3.7s are the go then for the autos , ive drove a mates car that had 355 stroker with a solid cam and it has 3.9s i think , it had to much power off the line, u couldnt take off under power with out the tyres making noise and smoke, i know im not comparing apples with apples but it seems 3.9s are to steep specialy for the highway

If you have a big cam, 3.9s are awesome because they get you into the power band of the cam quicker. You just gotta know how to drive them with street tyres. mashing the pedal off the line with that much power and 3.9s and it does turn into a nice smoke show. I reckon 3.7s for your rig. Even if it revs a bit higher on the highway, it wont use that much more fuel because your engine wont be working as hard to keep its motion.

v8_bomberdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 5L
If you have a big cam, 3.9s are awesome because they get you into the power band of the cam quicker. You just gotta know how to drive them with street tyres. mashing the pedal off the line with that much power and 3.9s and it does turn into a nice smoke show. I reckon 3.7s for your rig. Even if it revs a bit higher on the highway, it wont use that much more fuel because your engine wont be working as hard to keep its motion.
im having a turbo manifold made up so do u think 3.7s will be ok or would 3.45s be the go for a turbo setup