Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me Diagnosis my electrical problems

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Gday Guys,

Some Electrical gremlins that seem to be getting worse. Been off and on for about a year, sometimes I wont have problems for weeks then it will be all the time.

- Dash cluster loses power in needles and backlighting. However ODO works just no backlight, indicator flashes as normal.

- All lights interior and exterior oscillate/throb.

- Sometimes when driving the Revs with go up and down on its own making the car lurch forward off and on, like bunny hopping.

- Headunit will lose power and flash on and off.

- I put some Phillips xtreme 130% 60/55w H4's in and worked for one night. The next time they blew at the same time when I turned them on. But arent burnt and dont have broken links inside???? Regular 'servo' globes work just fine.

- Had the alternator replaced maybe 12 months ago. I have a volt gauge and it never drops below full.

- Battery seems old. I havent got a volt meter to check it unfortunately.

- All fuses seem to be in top condition.

New battery could be on the cars right? but there has got to be some other reasons. Anyone got any advice for me?

Have a good one.

Justin

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Check all the body earths, undo the bolts holding them, clean them up.
Had a similar fault with my old pintara, just a bad body earth.
Failing that try a new battery if it looks old, have no clue how old it is.

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Check all the body earths, undo the bolts holding them, clean them up.
Had a similar fault with my old pintara, just a bad body earth.
Failing that try a new battery if it looks old, have no clue how old it is.

Thanks mate Ill look into the positions of the earths. I should clean them with some grease remover and wire brush then dry after with paper towel right?

If the battery isnt out putting enough power because its on the way out that could cause issues too I assume. Despite the newish alternator keeping it topped up.

Any others want to chime in? I cant imagine earthing would cause every issue I listed.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yep anything to remove any corrosion etc, its all i did.
Because there are multiple earths in ththe car, one bad earth can do silly things.
My bad earth caused the gauges to bounce all over the place, no lights, stero on and off, car to stutter due to load on the car.
Did you have the issue before the alternater was replaced ?

Also the bunny hoping, my belt broke off on my old vr, bunny hoped, stuttered, then resumed as normal due to the sudden loss of the alternator.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
CO contact cleaner to clean up earths , check fuse holders for any signs of over heating or loose terminals , has the vehicle been touch by any Strathfield car radio tech's ???? ( bunch of monkeys )

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
My bad earth caused the gauges to bounce all over the place, no lights, stero on and off, car to stutter due to load on the car.
Did you have the issue before the alternater was replaced ?.

I think i did have issues before cant remember exactly. But its been gradually getting worse, and happens more frequently on cold days. Maybe cold contracted melt making the earth connection worse?

CO contact cleaner to clean up earths , check fuse holders for any signs of over heating or loose terminals , has the vehicle been touch by any Strathfield car radio tech's ???? ( bunch of monkeys )

Haha no strathfield guys havr touched my 'wyf' but noted. When I check thw earths ill double check the fuses.

Do you guys think it will be safe to run the phillips xtreme vision blubs afterwards? Love the light and look of them for the seconds I had them :p

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Nothing wrong with using those bulbs mate. I have them in my old Prado and when I upgraded the wiring to them and relay switched them from the alternator... bastards are way better than HIDS plus I get the proper reflector spread.

The current draw is exactly the same as a normal bulb.

You still at the same place? You might need to swing past and see me at the workshop in Bayswater if you get some time.

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Nothing wrong with using those bulbs mate. I have them in my old Prado and when I upgraded the wiring to them and relay switched them from the alternator... bastards are way better than HIDS plus I get the proper reflector spread.

The current draw is exactly the same as a normal bulb.

You still at the same place? You might need to swing past and see me at the workshop in Bayswater if you get some time.

I am in Heidelberg now. But if youre willing to give me 30mins of your time to chase the earths and gremlins id make the trip. As I said I dont even have a volt meter atm so I cant even check the condition of the battery. You might have seen I just swapped the clutch, diff was clunking like hell so I spent the money on new LSD oil and while I was under there I discovered I had dangerously bald rear tyres... so I am having one of those runs lol

Any idea what my car did to the Phillips blubs for them to stop working? I dont see any burns or broken coils inside the glass. Any chance they will work once I tidy up my earth points?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
They might work... I assume you have tried putting them back in again? Theoretically, if the coil is intact they should be fine.

How are you situated for Friday? I'm flat out but because I'll. Be there until 8pm, if you're prepared to hang around a little bit we can check it out in between other vehicles. I'll pm you the address and my phone number again, we can line something up. All of your issues are definetly voltage related... could be bad earth but I'm suspecting alternator. Even though it's a new one. I'd like to check the earth's but more importantly check the condition of the fusible links and the retaining screws, the alternator charge cable, the battery to engine and chassis earth straps.

I honestly believe you had a relay issue caused by voltage to create the issue with the headlights. At first thought, I think the bulbs are fine but we can test them out at my workshop.

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
They might work... I assume you have tried putting them back in again? Theoretically, if the coil is intact they should be fine.

How are you situated for Friday? I'm flat out but because I'll. Be there until 8pm, if you're prepared to hang around a little bit we can check it out in between other vehicles. I'll pm you the address and my phone number again, we can line something up. All of your issues are definetly voltage related... could be bad earth but I'm suspecting alternator. Even though it's a new one. I'd like to check the earth's but more importantly check the condition of the fusible links and the retaining screws, the alternator charge cable, the battery to engine and chassis earth straps.

I honestly believe you had a relay issue caused by voltage to create the issue with the headlights. At first thought, I think the bulbs are fine but we can test them out at my workshop.
Thanks mate that would be awesome. We can talk tomorrow. I am meant to be helping prepare food for my engagement party for sat night but I will see if I can wriggle out of it for a couple hours :p