Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me identify these factory reversing camera wires please

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
Bought a late 2012 VE calais wagon tailgate garnish off ebay that came with a factory reversing camera. I’ve since cut the plug off to retro fit it to my wife’s MY9.5 base model SS wagon (i’ve upgraded the stereo to a version 9 ssv screen type stereo and had it vin matched, video in motion enabled etc) but i need help identifying the wires on the camera side of the plug. I have the following 6 wires from the camera to the plug:

white
red
light green
black
pink
light/pale blue

Other posts i’ve seen where people have retrofitted the camera have had different colours to me, and i’m having a hard time finding a wiring diagram that shows the wires between the camera and it’s plug.

If anyone can positively identify these colours, i’d be more than grateful. One of you gurus have to know!

If i had to wire this up, my guess would be:

Green - wire to reverse light
Black - wire to ground
Pink - Video inner, wire to inside/middle of yellow male RCA video cable.
pale blue - Video outer, wire to outside of yellow male RCA video cable.
Red - wire to reverse light
White - wire to reverse light

This is just my guess, but i feel like either white or red might be a shield cable to stop signal interference.

Can anyone here please shed some light on these wires?

The garnish is on the car now, so i’ve taken a picture of the wires just hanging there, and you can see i’ve cut the plug off. I’ve also included a picture of the camera plug before i cut it off.

I have also gone ahead and ran a wire from the drivers side reverse light wire, all the way behind the trims, through the rubber boot and along the factory harness to the area the wires will be living, along with a nice ground cable. I’m not going any further till i 100% know for sure how to proceed. I’d hate to fry something or create a short.
82D9430C-6266-408C-927A-4D6FCBC621CA.jpeg
83DBAD56-B0A0-4D92-8C57-5D09DD5A5AE1.jpeg

Cheers legends

Last edited:

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve included a wagon plug pinout that shows the positions of what colour wire goes in each pin.
3729D913-C1A0-4409-9515-EF08A311A64E.jpeg

Reversing camera (6 wire type)

Pin 1 - pink

Pin 2 - not used

Pin 3 - red

Pin 4 - light blue

Pin 5 - White

Pin 6 - not used

Pin 7 - Black

Pin 8 - Light green

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks man, but that first link was me providing old mate with the diagram for his camera lol, unfortunately mine has different colour wires. Same with the second thread (i actually know todd on facebook) and although he has the same camera, he never got an answer after all these years on his thread :(

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I think the difficulty is a lack of info for series 2 VE that had the cameras.

I might be able to go through series 1 stuff and find something? Maybe.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah that would actually be great. Service manual is useless from what i can see. I guess holden just didn't think anyone had any reason to know or enquire what the different colour wires were actually for on the camera side of the plug.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you check through the stuff on carmodders.com.au

Yeah, it was all aftermarket installs to IQ units.....but right at the end of one thread a guy said he was doing a factory camera install and he was going to posta write up. Unfortunately he never did and the thread ended there :(

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is only one man that will have that answer then. That man is @TazzI

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is only one man that will have that answer then. That man is @TazzI

I haven't been on these forums in years........ now he is tagged will he see this thread?

Edit: just saw that its envyous customs. He`s not real keen to help (spoke to him on messenger already) He said he's "not sure,i don't use factory cameras since their rubbish" So he either doesn't know or doesn't want to help. And as i'm not his customer, he's under no obligation to help me, so i get it.

Last edited: