Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me please do I sell or do I trade in question mark

Kirstie Chambers

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Commodore VE International station wagon
I have a 2009 Holden Commodore VE international wagon it's done 223000 and needs transmission work that I've been told will be a maximum of $1,895 I love this car should I pay to get it fixed??? Its going into the shop today, but I don't know what to do???

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
If you love the car and plan on keeping it for several years, get it fixed.

Kirstie Chambers

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Commodore VE International station wagon
Ok thanks dgp, that makes me feel better...how long we talking when you say several years though? Is there a reason?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I have a 2009 Holden Commodore VE international wagon it's done 223000 and needs transmission work that I've been told will be a maximum of $1,895 I love this car should I pay to get it fixed??? Its going into the shop today, but I don't know what to do???
If you plan on keeping it for a few years and rest of car Inc engine is good keep it. If your thinking on upgrading put a 2nd hand box in and sell.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
is this the same car as mention in the your other thread with the engine making a rattling noise and overheating

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
you need to take into consideration the condition of the rest of the vehicle. it could just be a ticking time bomb at that age if you haven't maintained it well.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Ok, one thing I learn't early on is sometimes you need to cut your losses to avoid going backwards.

Some cars will be absolute money pits where you spend hundreds every month in order to keep it running. You could use this money instead to purchase/pay off a newer/better condition car which doesn't need work, just normal maintenance.

If it's just a minor gearbox issue and everything else on the car is great (or already fixed or parts replaced) then it would be worth fixing and keeping for a few more years.

If however there is a lot that needs fixing then it would make more sense to just put that money towards getting a car in better condition.

Remember also that lots of issues can crop up in the future, especially after a car is around 10 years old and over 200,000kms. Things like radiator, ABS/Electronic modules, air con, suspension, water pump, headlining, things that seem minor but can cost a bit of money over the long term.

Of course, the other side is once you have fixed everything it's generally good to go for another 5 years without many issues.

You have to decide for yourself. However if it was me and if this IS the same car as in your other thread with all the issues, then I would get what I can for it and find a replacement.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If the rest of the car is in good condition and you enjoy it spend the money and keep it.
With a blown you 'box will get very very little for it as a sell or trade in.....Understandably so.

I have an '09 VE International that I purchased new that's never missed a beat that I had not driven for a while.
Last Monday I needed to leave early from home and travel south, and back on the same day, and it was just such a pleasure to drive as fast as the law would allow.
Yes, I really like and enjoy this old VE.