Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me please I'm a girl and I'm unsure

GirrLyMech

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore Supercharger
I have 2003 VY supercharge i turn the key it goes to start but won't kick over, battery light is on and the dash says check alternator, yes I know how to change it but can I replace it with a normal alternator or does it have to be supercharged? Also where is the starter motor located? Could that be the problem? I don't want to get underneath without sort of having an idea where to look my dad lives a long way away and he hasn't dealt with supercharged engines so I'm working alone

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Sounds like a flat battery.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Your problem is most likely a flat battery. Try jump starting the car with help from another car (connecting your battery to the other cars battery). Get help from someone to make sure the connections are correct - positive to positive on batteries, negative to earth on your car.

The alternator is not supercharged, only the engine is.

The starter motor is located below the engine but don't concern yourself with it until you have eliminated the battery as the cause of your problem.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have 2003 VY supercharge i turn the key it goes to start but won't kick over, battery light is on and the dash says check alternator, yes I know how to change it but can I replace it with a normal alternator or does it have to be supercharged? Also where is the starter motor located? Could that be the problem? I don't want to get underneath without sort of having an idea where to look my dad lives a long way away and he hasn't dealt with supercharged engines so I'm working alone

This might be worthwhile for you https://rac.com.au/car-motoring/roadside-assistance
Between $2 and $4 a week depending on which level of service you choose, it is good value.
They will come out and tell you what is wrong, and get it going if they can.
As already mentioned, don't go playing with the starter until you are absolutely certain of the battery.
How old is the battery and have you cleaned the terminals on the battery.
The starter is usually accessed down low on passenger side of the engine at the rear of the engine.
May have an aluminium cover over it but don't try anything with it without first disconnecting the battery.

Last edited:

GirrLyMech

Reaction score
Members Ride
It starts but won't stay on

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If it starts now.......But you did NOT say that in your original post......How long does it run for? If only a short time then sounds like lack of fuel???

GirrLyMech

Reaction score
Members Ride
The most simplest thing ive never even thought of, it is a little bit low so I will try putting more fuel in it and see how it goes

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
You should NEVER let your tank get below 1/2, particularly on old cars as they will pick up the crud in the tank from from so many years and fill ups.
This will block the filter, and this could well be your problem as well. You will see the filter near the tank, but be VERY careful if you decide to change it as will probably have fuel running everywhere.
As a matter of interest are you running it on premium fuel?......If not best you do may I suggest.

SIRGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Series 2 5L
You should NEVER let your tank get below 1/2, particularly on old cars as they will pick up the crud in the tank from from so many years and fill ups.
This will block the filter, and this could well be your problem as well. You will see the filter near the tank, but be VERY careful if you decide to change it as will probably have fuel running everywhere.
As a matter of interest are you running it on premium fuel?......If not best you do may I suggest.

Ease up turbo, your gonna scare the poor girl out of cars completely! I have 93 vq statesman and ive run that low on fuel plenty of times. The difference between 98 octane and PULP (91 or lower) is so insignificant to a daily driven road car its silly. In the united states they often run 80-87 octane and theyre cars have no hassles running on it. In fact i have seen huge horsepower cars run on it. A decent fuel additive for cleaning purposes run through your tank once a month will have rectified fuel being grubby or dirty. Replacing a fuel filtwr and cleaning the injectors will solve a lot of that. Let thw forum know how you got on mate.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The most simplest thing ive never even thought of, it is a little bit low so I will try putting more fuel in it and see how it goes

Another problem with that model commodore is if the car is on a slight incline to the kerb, the pump will often not pick up fuel if the tank is under quarter full.