Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me set a clown straight!

Which option best describes your situation?

• Option 1

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Option 2

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Option 3

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Option 4

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • Option 5

Votes: 40 24.0%

• Total voters

I drive a VL Commodore

I drive a Skyline, too.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Poverty Pack
So I have been tossing this theory around for a while. Got on to it again today discussing with my 15 year old mate who's dead set on a 20k+ loan for a VY SS Commodore for his first car when he's got his apprenticeship.

I reckon a very high percentage of blokes' first cars get wrecked or otherwise irreparably damaged, more so than older people's cars.

Lets be honest most of us here had/have a bit of a go with our first cars and many of them met grief as a result. So I'd like people to vote on how their first car came to its' demise or otherwise. Leave the debate about hooning and speeding and other assorted bullshit at the door, I just want some numbers to get this clown out of his Commodore wet dream and buy a shitbox like most blokes starting out do. :D

Please place your vote according to which scenario best fits your first car:

OPTION 1:
"My first car was confiscated or wrecked in an accident as a result of either speeding, other hoon activity or my own inexperience."

OPTION 2:
"My first car was involved in an accident not my fault, or was stolen and not recovered/damaged beyond repair."

OPTION 3:
My first car's life ended due to mechanical failure and was parted out, sold to a wreckers, is rotting in the backyard etc."

OPTION 4:
"I sold/traded/gave away/ etc my first car without major accident damage or mechanical fault."

OPTION 5:
"I still drive my first car."

Cheers.:thumbsup:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
option 4 but i still think your mate is a ******** for taking a loan on a car. even worse being an apprentice.

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
Option 4 for me, I have to agree with vlv8vic your mate is nuts getting a loan. I think he would be better off getting a cheap car for at least 12 months and learn to drive with traffic.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
your mate is a douche. Just let him do it and watch him fail hardcore. Even if he pays the car off he will be 30 with no money and a clapped out vy.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
a SS commodore isnt the wisest choice for a first car.

Even though my first car was a $500 bomb, it went well but no way in hell did i feel safe in it. i think something cheap reliable with safety options like airbags and abs is the smartest move. its up to him.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
i'll say option 5 at the moment, im not driving it, but its still registered and i may drive it at some stage in the next month or so before i start stripping it.

it was involved in one accident, which was due to inexperience/oncoming ******** driver, not a result of me "hooning". i repaired the car, and continued to drive it.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
My first car got pinched a week before I was going to use it as trade in on my second car.

I've owned 4 cars now... and each one I've paid cash... no loads... and i would never consider taking out such a massive loan on a first car.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
borrow money to make money.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I think it is a bit rich to make the outrageous statement that you believe a very high percentage of blokes' first cars get wrecked or otherwise irreparably damaged. Also that most here have given their cars a bit of a go - utter rubbish. Obviously in your world that is the case, but not everyone lives in your world. I can think of many young guys and indeed men who took great pride in their first and subsequent vehicles driving them sensibly from day one.

I wonder if the op, who owns a VL, is a bit jealous that someone younger aspires to own a better model than him? Given you are calling him a clown without just cause because the lad has a dream of owing something nice. Obviously if he is undertaking an apprenticeship he has his head screwed on right in that he is establishing a trade for himself. You are making assumptions clearly based on your own actions as to how he will treat his car.

Maybe you are the clown here :)