Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help me spend my tax money :)

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
hey guys after some advice. its tax time and like every year most if not all of my money goes on my car. this time around most of it is going to the missus car as she hit a roo 2 days before tax came back, yay...

but i have a budget of about $1300-1500 to get some stuff done that i've needed done for a while now.

the last service I had done I was told I needed bushings etc all replaced for the front suspension, was quoted about $350-370 for this including labour.

also my rear shocks are leaking and need replacing but I was quoted $500-600 for this which I think is quite excessive since the same store installed my last set of shocks for just $150 labour. (just got a set of cheapos as i needed it done asap and its all they had in stock)

also needs a service.

I'm contemplating if I should just buy the parts myself though and get them installed so I know what im getting. for one I dont think the store im using (major chain) will use polyurethane bushes or gas shocks?

was after some advice on what I should get taking into account my budget. The front suspension other then the bushes should be fine as I had the struts/shocks done last year. (no idea why they didn't pick up on the bushes etc when i got that done??)

so im thinking I might be best buying something like a Nolathane full kit for the bushings etc is this the kit i would be after?

also what would you think a mechanic would charge for labour to install this kit? I can find the kit around the place for about $350-$400.

also for the rear shocks I am thinking of getting bilstein-b6-sports. I have shocking roads around me and potholes galor and have learned my lesson after getting a cheap pair last time around. I can find these around $450-$500 for the pair for the rears. if I factor in around $150-$200 labour i'd much rather do this then pay the $600 they will charge me to most likely just install some cheapo gabriels again.

any advice/tips would be appreciated.

i would love to attempt to install some of this my self to save on costs but i just dont have the time these days with such a busy work schedule and other commitments.

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
can anyone give me a quick answer if the EVOCOM5 nolathane kit is the right kit for me. there is a sale on for the full kit and its going to last for the next 6hrs so i want to buy it now if it correct.

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
nevermind i went and got it anyway, at $375 for the EVOCOM5 kit brand new i couldn't pass it up.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Rear shockers are the easiest thing to change in the history of the universe. I would never ever pay anyone to change rear shockers lol. Buy some and set aside 1 hour on a Saturday or Sunday. 1 nut in your boot and one bolt at the bottom of the shock. Give it a crack bro. Couple more bolts at The top if it's a wagon.

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
Rear shockers are the easiest thing to change in the history of the universe. I would never ever pay anyone to change rear shockers lol. Buy some and set aside 1 hour on a Saturday or Sunday. 1 nut in your boot and one bolt at the bottom of the shock. Give it a crack bro. Couple more bolts at The top if it's a wagon.

Yeah true I've been trying to look up how to do it but from all reports it looks about as easy as you say. So screw paying for that I'll spend the saved Labour costs on buying good quality bilstein shocks. Thinking the heavy duty instead of sports to suit my road.

Also is it going to be much of an issue that my front is running what I believe are ultima struts with lovell springs? I could always down the track replace the struts with some bilstein also but for now just want to make sure running different stuff isn't going to make a drastic difference.

And as for the doing the shocks myself, is using a simple scissor jack going to be enough and just do 1 side at a time? I hare jacking the car up just to do a wheel change with the dodge looking scissor jack let alone replacing shocks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

OldAndyMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
I really wouldnt trust the scissor jack, it will work obviously but it is for emergencies only. A trolley jack is one of those things you cant really live without, there are plenty to choose from but again, it is not the sort of thing you want to scrimp on - buy the best one you can afford.

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
I really wouldnt trust the scissor jack, it will work obviously but it is for emergencies only. A trolley jack is one of those things you cant really live without, there are plenty to choose from but again, it is not the sort of thing you want to scrimp on - buy the best one you can afford.

yeah i got one i can get hold off from family wil see if i can just get that.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
If you can't get a trolley jack atleast get some stands to put under that car. Jack up one side then let it down on a stand then do the other. Don't want to be under a car with a scissor jack.

Allot of people run different springs and shocks in the rear to stiffen it up and stop axle tramp, or for some other reasons. It's fine. And if your front shocks are new it's not worth getting rid of them yet.

rayuki

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 2005
Hmm this is seeming like not such an easy endeavour. From all my research nolathane are supposed to be a decent brand but none of my suspension places around me will touch it as far as installing it for me :(

Any suggestions?
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2