Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help me troubleshoot

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Just when I thought things were going good, the car stalled and I've got another problem that I have to fix.

Fully charged battery, good terminals, good connections.
Good solid cranking.
No air leaks in piping.
I have fuel, fuel pump is still pumping strong.
t/b isn't jammed shut etc.

Now that's all I've checked until I get home.

What happened? Friday morning it stalled coming out of the driveway, just died randomly after load. And I had been noticing flat spots and it had been running differently of late. I was driving home yesterday afternoon sitting on 70km/h and it straight dropped out, 0rpms, still full electrics - I pulled over and had a quick look but couldn't see anything obvious.

Any ideas?

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Just when I thought things were going good, the car stalled and I've got another problem that I have to fix.

Fully charged battery, good terminals, good connections.
Good solid cranking.
No air leaks in piping.
I have fuel, fuel pump is still pumping strong.
t/b isn't jammed shut etc.

Now that's all I've checked until I get home.

What happened? Friday morning it stalled coming out of the driveway, just died randomly after load. And I had been noticing flat spots and it had been running differently of late. I was driving home yesterday afternoon sitting on 70km/h and it straight dropped out, 0rpms, still full electrics - I pulled over and had a quick look but couldn't see anything obvious.

Any ideas?

CAS is my idea bro, i had the same issue oneday. i was driving and it stalled! wit the samethings happening with the power etc.. it started for like 10 seconds then stalled again.. started again for like 5 mins and i drove and it stalled again.. then after that it was it.... the CAS got old and was just overheating.. i swapped it with another dizzy and boooyah!!

I swapped 8 crap tyers to the wreckers and got to dizzy/cas setups, so i always got spares now!!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Yeah was definitely on my list of things to check. It most certainly died in the ass a lot faster then my last one. But I believe it was a second hand distributor so I'm not suprised if it is dead. Easy fix though fortunately.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Remember my thread Bax about the probs i had
its the same probs i had well sounds like
Check the relay down near battery with the diode in the loom.
i have left the earth wire apart where the diode was(Corroded Out) and my car has been fine as soon as i join the earth the relay switches and shuts car off.
goodluck bud

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
try what detox says mate or my option, either way its gotta work, i hope :D

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well I have to laugh, I went out this afternoon to investigate and it started first go.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Well I have to laugh, I went out this afternoon to investigate and it started first go.

hahaha lol !! see how long it lasts :p if it happens again well u know somethings up!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
hahaha lol !! see how long it lasts :p if it happens again well u know somethings up!

:whistling It started this morning, so I drove it to work. Two hours later I went to duck down to the shops for smoko and I had the same problem.

Fortunately I have a wrecker just up the road, and a friendly mechanic across the road from work, the cars behind a locked gate if it needs to stay here tonight though. But hopefully I can just change distributor this afternoon.

Take the cap off, crank it until the rotor button is pointing somewhere recognisable, straight up for example. Mark the timing of the actual distributor and where it's bolted onto the bracket. Pull it out, get a new one, rotate the button - put it in the same way as the last.

Is that basically it?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
it is.
Push it over to TDC on cylinder 1.
then slide in another making sure the rotor is pointing to 1 which is near the Power Transistor on the dizzy. you will be fine.
Goodluck.
Did u check that diode i was on about.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Had a quick look, it all seems okay in there. Because my battery is in the boot it took a little bit of searching to find where it had moved too.

But it looked okay.

Changed the sensor at work, really easy but nearly lost a screw, was fairly messy in there so I'll have to change the bearing and the boot and what not. But it started after I changed it.