Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help me turn my shuttle into NAS

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
a while ago i built up a shuttle using alu. tube from bunnings and a hdd rack from chenbro. it was originally meant to be esata using a sata port multiplexer card, but it never seemed to work, so i just use 4x sata > usb cables and a hub in it.
pics:
IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

just won an auction for a PC-on-a-card that i thought i could put in there to make the case NAS instead of USB.

link to pdf of card specs
it's got a usb header (only 1.0) , and a 10/100 eth, and supports socket 370 up to 500mhz.

is it worth using for this? i was originally going to use it for a carputer, but now i'm going another way.

just worried the usb 1.0 will make it shite for media (the shuttle is TV/music/movies) but with no on board sata i don't think there's a way round that

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
usb 1.0 will be sooooo sloooowwwww.....

Its gotta move data faster than that or you'll start to see really bad lag, spesh on big moves of data.

aZk.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
yeah that pretty much confirms suspicions. wonder what else i could do with this board.

mcrow5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2
you could always put it in your current pc, as long as you've got enough hdd bays and sata ports. either that, or you could sell them, and just get a NAS or portable hdd from the money you make.