Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP ME!! VR overheating

M

mrk11d

Ey

Over the last couple of days the temp. metre on the dash has been topping out. Its generally fine at speed as the air flow seems to cool it down, but then say at the lights it starts to heat up like a tin roof in january. The coolant level seems to be fine so any other knowledge would be much appreciated. Oh, and the idea of not stopping and just goin through the lights has been tried and failed already.

GK

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Change the thermostat and check the water pump if its leaking, these are the two common problems.

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
sounds like your fan isnt coming on. Have you checked relays and fuses.
The best way to check is have the car running - somewhere safe - not traffic lights - driveway is better - get it heating up then check under the bonnet.

Hot tip - keep hands away from fan and resist the urge to poke it if its not coming on :thumbsup:

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
tsalad said:
sounds like your fan isnt coming on. Have you checked relays and fuses.
The best way to check is have the car running - somewhere safe - not traffic lights - driveway is better - get it heating up then check under the bonnet.

Hot tip - keep hands away from fan and resist the urge to poke it if its not coming on :thumbsup:

yes, check that first, but I had the same problem and it turned out to be the water pump.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
odds are it either a blocked radiator or water pump

Its cheaper to change the water pump and easy.
If its not that then go a new radiator around $135 on Ebay and they are good quality.
Make sure you get a 2 litre drink bottle and wrap lts of electrical tape around the neck, stick it in the radiator cap opening on the radiator, warm the motor and pour the coolant in the bottle until it runs out of the draining valve on the thermostat housing.
If its neither of these its the thermostat so I would suggest changing it with the radiator.
With VR/VS's its a sure bet that if they have had no major work in the past 2 - 3 years these will be an expense you can look forward to in the not too distant future.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
If ur A/C is on the thermo will be on basically all the time. Confirm this.

Otherwise just live with that fact that ur car overheats for no apparent reason....

I have Series II VR. New tanks have been fitted to the Radiator, also had it flushed. Replaced the water pump, replaced the thermostat, replaced thermo fan relay as was U/S, bled all the air out of the system, using correct type cooloant, replaced both coolant sensors. Also had entire system reversed flushed and pressure tested.....

On the weekend while heading up the Kuranda Range, (a touristy drive up into the hills, nothing serious.) I had to pull over n let er cool down as the temp gauge couldnt go any further up!!!! Everytime i go up that range or load the car up hills it cooks to the max..... Otherwise in traffic or daily driving all is good.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Slow VR said:
If ur A/C is on the thermo will be on basically all the time. Confirm this.

Otherwise just live with that fact that ur car overheats for no apparent reason....

I have Series II VR. New tanks have been fitted to the Radiator, also had it flushed. Replaced the water pump, replaced the thermostat, replaced thermo fan relay as was U/S, bled all the air out of the system, using correct type cooloant, replaced both coolant sensors. Also had entire system reversed flushed and pressure tested.....

On the weekend while heading up the Kuranda Range, (a touristy drive up into the hills, nothing serious.) I had to pull over n let er cool down as the temp gauge couldnt go any further up!!!! Everytime i go up that range or load the car up hills it cooks to the max..... Otherwise in traffic or daily driving all is good.

Now that doesnt sound normal.

inwiththenew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
it's proberly not even overheating. just ya gauage is rooted. or the senders are stuffed. i had the same problem in my old vl got a guy to test it by using a infered temp gauage. sat at normal temp but but the gauage said different. so brought a aftermarket guage.

petezor

i like icecream
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
check to see if u have blocks, check the hoses. could be your radiator on the way out.

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
inwiththenew said:
it's proberly not even overheating. just ya gauage is rooted. or the senders are stuffed. i had the same problem in my old vl got a guy to test it by using a infered temp gauage. sat at normal temp but but the gauage said different. so brought a aftermarket guage.

I'm on board with this conclusion... Happened to me repeatedly i my VR S1 Acclaim wagon...

How soon after driving does it happen? If it's within 10 mins of driving, it is definitely the sensor's being fukt up... Car doesn't heat up that fast...