Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP ME!! VR overheating

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by mrk11d, Aug 1, 2006.

1. mrk11d

mrk11d Guest

Ey

Over the last couple of days the temp. metre on the dash has been topping out. Its generally fine at speed as the air flow seems to cool it down, but then say at the lights it starts to heat up like a tin roof in january. The coolant level seems to be fine so any other knowledge would be much appreciated. Oh, and the idea of not stopping and just goin through the lights has been tried and failed already.

GK

2. holden007

holden007 VRII

Members Ride:
    Subaru Liberty
    Change the thermostat and check the water pump if its leaking, these are the two common problems.

3. tsalad

tsalad New Member

Members Ride:
    VR family truckster
    sounds like your fan isnt coming on. Have you checked relays and fuses.
    The best way to check is have the car running - somewhere safe - not traffic lights - driveway is better - get it heating up then check under the bonnet.

Hot tip - keep hands away from fan and resist the urge to poke it if its not coming on :thumbsup:

4. holden007

holden007 VRII

Members Ride:
    Subaru Liberty

yes, check that first, but I had the same problem and it turned out to be the water pump.

5. theburna

theburna New Member

Members Ride:
    VR Statesman
    odds are it either a blocked radiator or water pump

Its cheaper to change the water pump and easy.
    If its not that then go a new radiator around $135 on Ebay and they are good quality.
    Make sure you get a 2 litre drink bottle and wrap lts of electrical tape around the neck, stick it in the radiator cap opening on the radiator, warm the motor and pour the coolant in the bottle until it runs out of the draining valve on the thermostat housing.
    If its neither of these its the thermostat so I would suggest changing it with the radiator.
    With VR/VS's its a sure bet that if they have had no major work in the past 2 - 3 years these will be an expense you can look forward to in the not too distant future.

6. Slow VR

Slow VR Another White Crummodore

Members Ride:
    VR Series II
    If ur A/C is on the thermo will be on basically all the time. Confirm this.

Otherwise just live with that fact that ur car overheats for no apparent reason....

I have Series II VR. New tanks have been fitted to the Radiator, also had it flushed. Replaced the water pump, replaced the thermostat, replaced thermo fan relay as was U/S, bled all the air out of the system, using correct type cooloant, replaced both coolant sensors. Also had entire system reversed flushed and pressure tested.....

On the weekend while heading up the Kuranda Range, (a touristy drive up into the hills, nothing serious.) I had to pull over n let er cool down as the temp gauge couldnt go any further up!!!! Everytime i go up that range or load the car up hills it cooks to the max..... Otherwise in traffic or daily driving all is good.

7. holden007

holden007 VRII

Members Ride:
    Subaru Liberty

Now that doesnt sound normal.

8. inwiththenew

inwiththenew New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 3.8
    it's proberly not even overheating. just ya gauage is rooted. or the senders are stuffed. i had the same problem in my old vl got a guy to test it by using a infered temp gauage. sat at normal temp but but the gauage said different. so brought a aftermarket guage.

9. petezor

petezor i like icecream

Members Ride:
    VS COMMODORE
    check to see if u have blocks, check the hoses. could be your radiator on the way out.

10. Morgasshk

Morgasshk Morgasshk

Members Ride:
    VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
    I'm on board with this conclusion... Happened to me repeatedly i my VR S1 Acclaim wagon...

How soon after driving does it happen? If it's within 10 mins of driving, it is definitely the sensor's being fukt up... Car doesn't heat up that fast...

11. tsalad

tsalad New Member

Members Ride:
    VR family truckster
    the fact its happening when not moving, and your fan is working, I think would tend to indicate a radiator issue?

I doubt the guage would just decide to screw up as the car wasnt moving??

12. heya, had the same problem in my berlina, dam thingwould just overheat, i flushed both the radiator, and the heater coreabout 4 times, fixed the problem, hasnt over heated in over a year now!
    hope it fixes it for you

13. -Lewis-

-Lewis- New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Wagon
    mine does something similar. irregular temp reading.
    normal driving guage can range from 1/4 to 1/2. but sitting at lights, etc, it tends to jump to over 3/4. fan doesnt seem to kick in till over 3/4.
    have replaced radiator and hoses, thermostat, water pump, temp sensor.
    but when air con is on its all good (cos fan kicks in early) any ideas?
    vs acclaim series 1 auto

14. kirkson

kirkson Captain

Members Ride:
    93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
    Ok,
    I have the same problem, the fan works when the aircon is on however the fan dosent turn on when engine is hot if the aircon is off, I have replaced thermo sensor, waterpump, radiator, still no luck. I have been told by a friend of a friend of a friend that it could be the ECM, anyway a quick fix for now, I hardwired a toggle switch to the thermo fan relay so whenever the temp guage shows more than about 1/4 I flick the switch and hey presto it cools very fast so then I flick the switch off, works for me. But I will eventually find the actual cause just trial and error at this stage.
    Regards kirk

15. 94SVR

94SVR New Member

Members Ride:
    VR Commodore S
    Sounds like the most likely cause is the fan not cutting in when it should. If the temps fine when driving, but raises when your not moving it sounds like a fan problem.

16. cruzn

cruzn Member

Members Ride:
    vr Commodore
    I would't think the gauge is showing something wrong. That desision could wreck your engine and just for the record the water pump is pulled by a belt and stops water leaking via a bearing and if u saw a removed water pump than u would understand that it is impossible for a water pump to stop working, thats the way they are desigined. A water pump can ONLY lead cooland. Listen mate your radiator is problly blocked and would require flush (what happened to mine) or your thermostate is brocked (cheap 10-15 bucks to buy) or your radiator fan does not work although i dought that.

17. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    i'd get some cooling system flush and put it in, folow instructions on use, flush the system, reverse flush the radiator using the garden hose, fit a new thermostat while your at it and radiator cap too, make sure you get all the air out of the system. just use water for now as if there is a another problem you'll end up dumping all your new coolant. test the car again, make sure the fan is working. you may have a dodgy temp gauge or sender ( i believe ther are 2 senders, one for the ECU and one for the dash temp gauge) get it checked out, tested or get some sort of aftermarket gauge fitted to duoble check everything. sounds like that fan not coming on however

18. dre58

dre58 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr Executive
    I Had the same problem on my VR, when stuck in traffic the fan didnt come on. I replaced the fan and i was still getting the same problem. Eventually i took it to my mechanic and he checked it out, it ended up being a problem with the wiring that connects the the fan.
    I can say that it is most probably this as it sounds exactly the same to what happened to me so get your wiring checked out.

19. VRAddiction

VRAddiction its never fast enough

Members Ride:
    Vy SS Manual Ute

:thumbsup:

20. stew58

stew58 New Member

friend of mine had overheating prob, turned out to be thermostat