Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP ME!! VR overheating

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
the fact its happening when not moving, and your fan is working, I think would tend to indicate a radiator issue?

I doubt the guage would just decide to screw up as the car wasnt moving??

V

vrberlina5sdp

heya, had the same problem in my berlina, dam thingwould just overheat, i flushed both the radiator, and the heater coreabout 4 times, fixed the problem, hasnt over heated in over a year now!
hope it fixes it for you

-Lewis-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
mine does something similar. irregular temp reading.
normal driving guage can range from 1/4 to 1/2. but sitting at lights, etc, it tends to jump to over 3/4. fan doesnt seem to kick in till over 3/4.
have replaced radiator and hoses, thermostat, water pump, temp sensor.
but when air con is on its all good (cos fan kicks in early) any ideas?
vs acclaim series 1 auto

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
Ok,
I have the same problem, the fan works when the aircon is on however the fan dosent turn on when engine is hot if the aircon is off, I have replaced thermo sensor, waterpump, radiator, still no luck. I have been told by a friend of a friend of a friend that it could be the ECM, anyway a quick fix for now, I hardwired a toggle switch to the thermo fan relay so whenever the temp guage shows more than about 1/4 I flick the switch and hey presto it cools very fast so then I flick the switch off, works for me. But I will eventually find the actual cause just trial and error at this stage.
Regards kirk

94SVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore S
Sounds like the most likely cause is the fan not cutting in when it should. If the temps fine when driving, but raises when your not moving it sounds like a fan problem.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
I would't think the gauge is showing something wrong. That desision could wreck your engine and just for the record the water pump is pulled by a belt and stops water leaking via a bearing and if u saw a removed water pump than u would understand that it is impossible for a water pump to stop working, thats the way they are desigined. A water pump can ONLY lead cooland. Listen mate your radiator is problly blocked and would require flush (what happened to mine) or your thermostate is brocked (cheap 10-15 bucks to buy) or your radiator fan does not work although i dought that.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'd get some cooling system flush and put it in, folow instructions on use, flush the system, reverse flush the radiator using the garden hose, fit a new thermostat while your at it and radiator cap too, make sure you get all the air out of the system. just use water for now as if there is a another problem you'll end up dumping all your new coolant. test the car again, make sure the fan is working. you may have a dodgy temp gauge or sender ( i believe ther are 2 senders, one for the ECU and one for the dash temp gauge) get it checked out, tested or get some sort of aftermarket gauge fitted to duoble check everything. sounds like that fan not coming on however

dre58

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive
I Had the same problem on my VR, when stuck in traffic the fan didnt come on. I replaced the fan and i was still getting the same problem. Eventually i took it to my mechanic and he checked it out, it ended up being a problem with the wiring that connects the the fan.
I can say that it is most probably this as it sounds exactly the same to what happened to me so get your wiring checked out.

stew58

Reaction score
friend of mine had overheating prob, turned out to be thermostat