Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP me vs v6 wont start

bedford72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive 95 v6
Gday i have a 95 vs commodore v6 exsec and i was driving and seamed fine then stopped and turned off and when i got back to my car it wouldn't start it turns over but nothing and i cant hear the fuel pump when i turn the key on also there is a click click click from the intake manifold i think but it clicks more when i turn the key off,i have change the f/pump relay and done the fuel filter and the IAC valve and still nothing i also checked codes and all code 12 so that was no help so does anyone have an idea.

john (who is pulling his hair out)

bedford72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive 95 v6
i have put another fuel pump on and still nothing,still no fuel pump sound when ignition turned on, it has me buggered,will have to do more looking, check all fuse and check the plug at the pump with a test light and see if there is power going to it.

jairater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL calais lookalike
hi man yea i have a VL with exactly the same problem just went round sharp corner and car dies ....no feul pump noise when ignition is on ...checked all fusese and relays gave feul tank a wack still wont go .....anyone help meee plze prity plze im stranded

WiLo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
battery?
OP said he heard a click click click sound which is more thenb likely the starter trying to kick over but cant get enough power.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Hey mate,

Well your best bet is to get a gregorys manual or sumthing similar. It will help you solve your problem, especially if your good reading circuit diagrams. I havent had this problem before, but I am good at circuit diagrams and would be able to find the fault if I had the car. Anyway there are different systems for the fuel and engine management systems for automatic/manual transmissions, but the fuel pump side of it looks the same. Basically the fuel pump has a power and ground, so its either not getting a power signal or it has a bad ground, or it could be a faulty pump. The power signal comes from the fuel pump relay, so that may be faulty. The relay receives an input from the oil pressure switch so that may be causing you a problem too. Another input is straight from the battery and goes through fuse 23, a 15A fuse. The final input to the fuel pump relay is a signal from the ECU (hope the ecu isnt the problem - $). The other side of the fuel pump relay is a ground, so there may also be a bad ground there.

I hope that helps. Your problem will be something that I have listed above. That is assuming you know what the fuel pump relay sounds like.

So fault is one of the following things.
check relay (which i think you have done)
Check fuse 23 (15A)
Oil pressure switch is faulty
ECU faulty
Pump faulty
Broken wire or loose connection

If you are handy with a multimeter and have a manual you should be able to trace it down. Otherwise do what you can, and if it still doesnt go send her to the repair shop.

bedford72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive 95 v6
Cheers kopper i have done the fuel pump and also the filter and i have done the IAC and did the oil pressure switch so i did the oil and oil filter and did the fuel pump relay well i hope it was the fuel pump relay, so i have bought a mullti meter and will start at the fuel pump and follow the wires and check my conections and have also bought contact cleaner so they will be clean,so thanks again kopper and will update when i find the problem so if it happens to anyone else they know.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
pump can be tested with an educated thumb and an undone fuel line with ignition on, too easy.

Battery can have 12v but still be very stuffed, my neighbour had a NN ute with a battery reading 12.56v, mega problems, replaced battery all was fine.

Kinda sounds like battery or fuel supply side, or a stuffed starter motor solenoid ? start there, but get comfortable.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Checking a battery is actually not as easy as most people might think. It can be quite deceiving. When you test a battery you should test it under two conditions. With and without load. That means measure the batteries voltage, say it was sitting at 12.56V. Thats great, 12V battery. Now try and start the car (thats putting load on the battery) and see what the battery does. A good battery will drop maybe to 12V. A bad battery will drop right off. Like 6V or something like that. This procedure is true for any type of battery.