Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help.. More power 304

Pasticheny

Reaction score
Hey guys..

The time has come that the old girl needs abit more power.. I hav done abit of reading and decided to supercharge the 304.. Just that there's so many options I can't make up my mind.. Capa hav a kit.. Raptor hav a kit.. Yella terra hav the terra charge and whipple kits.. Just wanna know the pros and cons and what ur persoal options are on the chargers I listed and also should I go trutac or kaaz? They the same? Price is similar
Cheers

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
top mount charger will always be better for street cars then side mount ones will be. top mount will come on boost faster then side mounts. They are more expensive but. The whipple kits look pretty sweet.

Pasticheny

Reaction score
but the side mount kits are very easy to install.. and u can putt around off boost when u want to do ur eco bit :p the capa kit is around $7000 and is 250rwkws.. raptor is around $6000 and is around 220rwkws.. terra charger is $5000-6000 and is lowest at 210rwkws.. not to sure about the whipple kits power.. havnt spoken to yella terra bout them yet hmmmm

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
the whipple is a great kit but costs alot of money. if it were me id go with the raptor kit. thats the best if ur on a tight budget i reckon

Pasticheny

Reaction score
any opinions or trutrac or kaaz? whats the difference? is 1 rated to higher kws? im just sick of rebuilding shitty borg warner lsd every 12 months :(

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
heard good things about the trutrac. I'd be looking at one of those if i were in the same boat

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i think a truetrac locks under accelleration whereas a kaaz 2 way locks (or close to locked) under gas and braking, can make the back step out a bit if u go into a corner too hot and hit the brakes hard while turning in. i've heard a truetrac can take 700hp dunno what the kaaz can take.

also the truetrac is either freewheeling or locked.. no in-between. but the kaaz's locking varies on how much accelleration/decelleration forces its copping

from what i've heard if u like drags and powerskids get a truetrac, if u like circuit/drift/carving thru windy roads go the kaaz

i got a kaaz in my mild 5L vs and love it

as for the blower question. i looked into stroking/forced induction/LS1 swap. and decided on the YT whipple kit for the power delivery/economy. haven't bought one yet though

Pasticheny

Reaction score
ah beauty thanks for the help mate :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Truetrac is a mechanical LSD, It uses worm gears under load to transfer torque from side to side.
Not the best for going sideways everywhere but great for traction and very strong.

This opposed to the factory and KAAZ style centers which use clutches or cones (IIRC). Anywhere you have a friction surface to transfer power, you're bound to have slip.

Wiki diff LSD info

Pasticheny

Reaction score
Trutrac it is.. Booked in for tomorrow morning to hav 1 installed.. I'll let y'all know how It goes ;)