Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP! My car is possessed

Speedy66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 S2
Ongoing fault with my 2012 SV6 series 2.

Symptoms are all intermittent
-hicups when idiling
-after 35-50min of driving missfires and stalls
- while it is missfiring Speedo jumps and down erratically
After it stalls will not restart immediately will either not crack at all or slowly crank with no spark
-then will come good and start continue to drive but roughly

I've scans for fault codes and nothing
Checked sparks and Leeds all good
Replace crank angle sensor all good

Any help will be appreciated

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A simple vacuum leak?
I found one on mine on the manifold around the plastic ports. Replaced with brass ones.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
a vacuum leak will not create a no crank fault
i would be looking towards battery/cable/connectors/alternator issues

Speedy66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 S2
Thanks for the recommendations

Battery is testing fine holding 70% charge, if it's an alternator/ regulator issue shouldn't I see a drop in voltage?, I've watched the voltage during driving output is 14.5v to 15.1v which drops to 13v after and hour which should be normal? but i know cars do weird things when the alternator is on the way out

Fuel system would be the next suspect, I have driven it close to empty a few time lately, is there any test I can perform for injector or pump performance in the absence of fault codes.

Reading the forum I'm also wondering if the ECU is at fault?

Thanks again for the replies

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
15.1 is to high anything over 14.6 you have a problem, replace Alternator. Battery 70% because its cooked, over charging, load test the battery its the best way to test. Your Alternator should sit steady at 14.4v

Last edited:

Speedy66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 S2
Thanks Trevor I thought 15v was high also but was told this is normal for the SV6, will output 14-15 volts then drop to 12-13 after some time to avoid overcharging? Is this info wrong?

There is no regulator on these alternators as it's all controlled via the BCM so will replacing the alternator assist or is the issue in how the BMC operates?

I've just checked the battery and it how only 65% but have not driven it today

Speedy66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 S2
Update: Completed a battery load test today

car was holding 12.1 volts dropped to 9.1 on starting then fluctuated between 14.8 - 14.9 on idle

left it to idol for 30min came back to car and rev'd the throttle and immediately it started to stutter, engine light flicking on and off went on for around 30sec before it finally stalled

on trying to restarting it was completely dead, and engine immobiliser message came up of MFD, left it for 30sec tried again and starter was clicking but no ignition, left it for another 30 sec then it started straight away

ran other load test holding 11.9v dropped to 9.0v then between 14.8 to 15.1 on idol

was running for 2 minutes then had a drop of volts down to 12.9 and it started stuttering again for around 30sec and stalled
checked the volts after it stalled was erratic between 11.9 to 12.1, speedo was dancing around again had the park break warning light came on, but no immobiliser warning took around a minute to re-start just like the last time

All this going on but once again not one engine fault code logged arrhhhg!!!!!

So I'm thinking maybe alternator or BCM cant imagine it is battery as doubt it would restart again and load test looks OK any thouhgts

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Check your positive cable for corrosion inside insulation. I had something similar in old vs. Fluctuating electrics from surge power along cable as tempreture changed...
Bit random, unlikely to be your issue but who knows

Speedy66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 S2
Check your positive cable for corrosion inside insulation. I had something similar in old vs. Fluctuating electrics from surge power along cable as tempreture changed...
Bit random, unlikely to be your issue but who knows
Thanks will do, I'm at my Witt's end with this one LOL