Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help My Mechanic Has No Idea? Gearbox Trouble

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais International - RIP VR Turbo
Well i tested my alternator today by testing the voltage at the battery while car was at idle and it tested 14.25 volts, 14.27 when given a bit of rev.
How do i know if my alternator is stuffed?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
as the alt should do 14.4volts it would be fine. do the test again but this time turn all the accesories on, lights, highbeam, a/c, demister and see if the voltage holds, it should still stay up around the 14 volts etc. on the box that won't shift untill revved, have a little look inside the old ladies car and see if the power button has been pushed in. and check the fluid condition, also sounds like it needs a good service

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
well i done the test you said with high beams, and few other accessories and the voltage dropped to 14.18, i then turned the lights off and it went back to 14.25, does this sound normal?
If the alternator isnt the problem with my box then what is? nobody knows the real answer on how to fix this problem everyone has replaced multiple things and the problem has gone away so they don't know which part fixed the problem.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
well i done the test you said with high beams, and few other accessories and the voltage dropped to 14.18, i then turned the lights off and it went back to 14.25, does this sound normal?
If the alternator isnt the problem with my box then what is? nobody knows the real answer on how to fix this problem everyone has replaced multiple things and the problem has gone away so they don't know which part fixed the problem.

your alt sound fine, it's holding 14 volts with a load so thats a good thing. unfortunatly more then one thing can make the box play up. the tps would also have an influence on the box as this in conjuction with the maf sensor/rpm would be used to calculate engine loading and therefor when to upshift/downshift the box etc.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rest assured the thing is driven hard so the engine obviously works, although I have heard it idle at near 1000-1100 so it's a likely the tps or idle control valve are also stuffed, good thing the uni's work ok.

The car used to upshift quite normally now its reving on several thousand more before having to back off in order to make it change.

What ya reckon

sound like you need to fix the idle problem first. service the box and then see what happens

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
How much is it for a new tps?

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just took apart my throttle body and took a look at the sensor, looked pretty clean. But my throttle body was full of black **** so i cleaned it and polished it, car idles alot better now:)
Anyway i was thinkin about the problem and don't think it would be the tps because wouldnt that cause the car to run like **** also? and also the car won't go back to first even with the shifter but will go to 2nd, if it was the tps is would still go to 2nd with the shifter shouldnt it?
Anyway i was thinking maybe its a speed sensor or somethin as if this was playin up tellin the computer that the car was going a certain speed it wouldnt let the gearbox drop back to a lower gear if its going too fast for that gear?
Any thoughts on this?

hsv80

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
gearbox trouble

my vr commodore does the same thing it gets stuck in 2nd and wont go over 60-65km but mostley going up a hill or down a hill i just had my gearbox serviced 2 months ago and alternator has been checked its ok could it be my throttle position sensor

hsv80

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
my vr does the same thing but more when iam going up hill or or down one alternator has been checked its ok gearbox just been serviced could it be my throttle position sensor does any one have an idea

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
seems this problem is more common than i thought.
I'll let everyone know if my problem disssappears after the rebuild but after that i'll be changing my tps sensor.