Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help My Mechanic Has No Idea? Gearbox Trouble

hsv80

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
found the problem

speaking to alot of mechanics around au and they reckon its the tps sensor it seems to last as long as the oxygen sensor does which is not long they also said its the main cause losing power under acceleration you have to remember it tells the ecu how far the butterfly opens so if the tps is stuffed the butter fly would be wide open under full acceleration but the ecu thinks its not so see you have no power:w00t:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
is the TPS on the VS the same as the VN-VR. i have a few spare of those and i might try it on mine and see if there is any difference. i've ordered a TCI transmission rebuild kit which has everything in it to bring the box up to there super streetfighter specs including shift kit and corvette servo etc and also a flex-o-lite 20" x 7.5" x 3/4" trans cooler.

Last edited:

hsv80

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
fixed problem maybe

iam pretty sure there the same if tou change your tps you might need to change your map sensor as well just to be on safe side see these sensors work togeether to get the right throttle response also found out if the tps sensor does go it will be holding the throttle plate open beyond specification, the TPS will not be able to give an idle (throttle closed) signal to the computer. Driveability symptoms that result include poor startup, engine stall after startup, poor idle, engine stall at idle, poor throttle response at throttle "tip-in" or possibly even engine "ping." Besides those things, you may also discover that you are unable to access the vehicle on-board diagnostic tests, and/or unable to properly set the ignition timing! see when you have this problem mechanics tell you that you need a stage 2 shift kit to fix problem but all that really resaults in more of smooother gear change than origanally
so its more money in there pockets when all it is 9-10 is the tps sensor:w00t:it will also play havoc when trying to downshift in gears but if anyone else has any ideas let me know so i can try that 2

Last edited:

hsv80

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
iam pretty sure there the same if tou change your tps you might need to change your map sensor as well just to be on safe side see these sensors work togeether to get the right throttle response also found out if the tps sensor does go it will be holding the throttle plate open beyond specification, the TPS will not be able to give an idle (throttle closed) signal to the computer. Driveability symptoms that result include poor startup, engine stall after startup, poor idle, engine stall at idle, poor throttle response at throttle "tip-in" or possibly even engine "ping." Besides those things, you may also discover that you are unable to access the vehicle on-board diagnostic tests, and/or unable to properly set the ignition timing! see when you have this problem mechanics tell you that you need a stage 2 shift kit to fix problem but all that really resaults in more of smooother gear change than origanally
so its more money in there pockets when all it is 9-10 is the tps sensor:w00t:it will also play havoc when trying to downshift in gears but if anyone else has any ideas let me know so i can try that 2
also this is for people who want to know what the tps does First a little lesson on what the TPS(throttle position sensor)does for your engine. The TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) monitors the throttle valve position (which determines how much air goes into the engine) so the ECU can respond quickly to changes, increasing or decreasing the fuel rate as necessary. The TPS is really just a potentiometer or a variable resistor not much different than the volume knob on your radio. The voltage to the ECU from the TPS changes in proportion to how far into the gas pedal you are.

When your car started to sputter and stall at low speed and idle or lose power when accelerating or cruising down the interstate it was probly due to this little sensor. Don't feel bad, you're not the only person who has had this problem. Right after the oxygen sensor, this is the most common electronic component to fail

QIK51X

Holden V6 N/A 14.7@94mph
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vr commodore v6
seems this problem is more common than i thought.
I'll let everyone know if my problem disssappears after the rebuild but after that i'll be changing my tps sensor.

Thats what I was just thinking. This problem is very common with our cars.

Whoever is interested I had my first base tune with my new WRX 2003 model

Mods are:

Rigoli built EJ2026 2.6 litre motor
Garrett GT35R 1.06 a/r
1000cc injectors x 4
Methanol Injection
3 1/2 inch exhaust turbo back.
microtech lt8
fully built dog box 1-4
stage 3 cosworth heads
jun 264 cams
75hp NOS setup (not hooked up yet)
Front mount intercooler
Walbro fuel pump

Thats all I think.

First run 468whp on 23psi
Second run 475whp on 22.5psi
Final Run 481whp on 23.5psi

This is with 100 ron fuel and methanol injection

Max boost once I run in the motor will be 28-30psi and I am expecting 550whp-600whp.

Cant wait to drive it and rip some new holes in HSV and FPV owners and their LS2 Clubsports and XR6 turbos, aswell as Ferrari, Lambos and Porsches. Im going hunting very soon.:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :dance: :dance: :dance: :yeah:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

the missus VS isn't as bad as all that listed above but it just seems a little inconsistent. sometimes it's a little difficult starting and poor throttle responce and i'm sick of the slush box. hoping that the shift kit/servos will firm it up and the massive transcooler to cool everything down. and if this doesn't fix the problems with the box then i'll throw the rebuild kit at it and fix it once and for all. hope fuly it'll be nicer to drive. i likethe manual VN a lot more really. i've never really played with autos before but i guessthere is a first time for everything