Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP need answer before I hand over $$$

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
surely a quote is a quote thats how it is here get quoted thats the max it will be no iffs buts or maybes.the only time it would be different is if they ring and say we found this and it needs fixed should we do it if you aggree then its added to the bill.any work done you havnt agreed on must be either un done for no cost or free of charge.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
he shouldn't charge you to fix it.

most likely he snapped the bolt on tightening and said he snapped it loosening.. given what mechanics charge $70 p/h tell him that he was working on it therefore its his fault. if they cared about their reputation they should have offered not to charge in the first place.

the shitty thing with mixing metals is alloy + steel do funny things together due to thermal expansion...

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
^^^

I was just told car wont be ready by time said by them and that was it ...

The car is looked after... everythings orignal except for paint,suspension,front rotors.Its only got around 205,000 kms on it .. oil/filter change every 5000kms or so , flush and change coolant every 2 years , transmission service every 70,000kms ,change plugs and leads every 20,000kms so I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand engine but I doubt I could get an engine in better condition than mine .. so I keep pouring buckets of money into it ..

I was going to detail car and sell on and get a motorbike but when its raining the cars great ...so decided on keeping it ..

you guys wont like what Im going to say but silicone and nulon products have kept the car going lol ...

I removed all dirt and crap ( gently of course ) from under the rubbers of front and rear windows and the rear quarter windows leak putting water in the boot also the boot lock can leak... then put silicone to stop water getting in , also brake lights instead of replacing I just went over all the joints that were cracked with silicone .. which stopped boot leak

problems car has

1.rear main seal has had slight one drop only on bottom of housing been like that since 1994 (nulon stop leak every 2nd oil change and its not got worse)

2. timing cover very slight leak top right where cas wire comes down been like that for 8 years ( use Cargo stop leak has stopped/slowed it/ bars stop leak)

3.Power steering rack leaking ( tightened clamps and nulon stop leak , leak has stopped and been so for a year or more)

4.inlet manifold has recently developed slight leak which causes slight miss at idle ( cargo stop leak and bar stops leak has really helped)

5.Transmission rear seal has slight leak ( nulon stop leak has helped)

I can do most work like plugs ,leads , oil , flush raditator etc the basic stuff ... stop leaks and so on will slow the problem down and may stop it and If I had thousands to throw at car to fix I would ..

anyone live in sutherland shire want some work and can do mates rates :D

Thank you to everyone above for responding so quickly ...

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That's the problem with any business though. You can obtain a quote for a certain job, but it is only for the work listed. If other work needs to be done to complete the quoted job, then the repairer is often not obligated to inform the customer if it is reasonable.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have been trying to find something in the Fair Trades Act about quotes, but all I can find so far is that the only time a price has to be stated is when a deposit is asked for.

Basically, you have entered into a contract to repair your car. He is repairing your car. If your car isn't repaired when he is finished, then you may have some recourse. The price involved in repairing it is something you have to work out. Good will may determine the price you eventually pay.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Ok I just got the call i did not want .. he said car is not ready so have to get tomorrow morning..

I have not spoken to them my mum did as its her car really .... they did not say anything about it costing more ... but if he said be ready in the morning then it would have to be nearly all done..

When I called them to get a quote I was told we change the water pump and thermostat and coolant .. $280 but make it $300 all up to be on safe side ..

this quote was from the son of the owner of the business .. If I fix someones computer which I do as a living and if I stuff something up I repair it or make good on that ... the thermostat was replaced like 4 years ago ... so its not like its never been replaced ...

will let u all know if I actually get car back tomorrow..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I've never had a quote in my life from a mechanic that ended up being the actual cost, it's allways been around twice as much. That's the major reason I struggle away with it myself now :)

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
My mechanic always always sticks to his quote, not that i've personally had any major work done, but my family have taken all our cars to him over about 10 years or so. Most work is one day wait, sometimes if i'm stuck with something i'll drop in and he'll help me out for free.

If i booked my car in to be worked on and then went to pick it up and they wanted more i'd kick up a stink. The only way that's allowable is if they ring saying "we've found something that should also be replaced, we could leave it but i recommend it be replaced" Then i'd say sure. If they break something on their time that's just too bad - they fix it. :)

Some examples of how it should be done:

I got a front bar resprayed after i botched it myself. The guy spent 3 times longer than anticipated to get it prepped but still charged as quoted.
I got a wheel alignment and the guys couldnt get the tie rod loose, took two guys 15 minutes hanging off it to do what should have been a 10 minute job all up. No extra charge.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
And they probably charge you more for each job because of it. They build in a contingency.