Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jack Shalavin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Pack
I'm the new (second-hand) owner of a Manual VX Commodore S Series II and also a new member of this forum. I have recently gotten it serviced and checked at Kmart Tyre and Auto Service and they have revealed some issues.

Firstly the caster rod bushes need to be replaced which they are quoting me $427 for the job including parts. The Steering Rack needs to be replaced urgently as there is an increasing leak on both sides of the steering rack near the sleeves, they are quoting a total of $1.2k for this job including $813 for a replacement rack as well as tyre rod ends. Also the engine mounts need to be replaced as the oil sump is about to hit the cross-member. They are quoting me $472 in total for this job including the cost of engine mounts at $121 each.

In total to fix these issues and to do a wheel alignment it is going to set me back about $2.2k so I'm just wondering if there are any mechanics in or near the Hills District (Northwestern Sydney) area that will do it for a better price and maybe be able to use parts given by me (so I can save money) and maybe some recommendations on what brand of parts to use.

Any response will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Jack.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Jeepers that quote is a bit scary. I'd be getting a quote from a steering and suspension joint for a reconditioned rack and the caster Rod bushes. It could be as low as half what you were quoted.
Which K mart was it mate?
I've heard a few people say the mechanic at BP north rocks is decent.

_War_

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Wagon
Hi mate i can't really help you with suggestions for a better mechanic in Sydney but i can tell you that those prices quoted by K-Mart are way to high the mark-up on the parts is a little excessive, It would be best to get a second quote somewhere else.

I'm not sure how all K-Mart tyre and autos are but from what i have heard from friends and family i would generally steer clear of them.

Jack Shalavin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Pack
Jeepers that quote is a bit scary. I'd be getting a quote from a steering and suspension joint for a reconditioned rack and the caster Rod bushes. It could be as low as half what you were quoted.
Which K mart was it mate?
I've heard a few people say the mechanic at BP north rocks is decent.

Cheers for the reply! I'll have a look at some other places and get some quotes as it does seem a bit pricey. It was Kmart Tyre and Auto at Kellyville Village.

Jack Shalavin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Pack
Hi mate i can't really help you with suggestions for a better mechanic in Sydney but i can tell you that those prices quoted by K-Mart are way to high the mark-up on the parts is a little excessive, It would be best to get a second quote somewhere else.

I'm not sure how all K-Mart tyre and autos are but from what i have heard from friends and family i would generally steer clear of them.

Hi War,
The mark up does seem fairly high. I just searched up a new steering rack from Supercheap and it is $300 cheaper than what Kmart quoted me!! Seems a bit ridiculous.

Jack Shalavin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S Pack
From experience a set of castor bushes is around $160 and takeess than an hour to fit, so those prices are insane. Shop around some more.

Yes I just have had a quick online search and I can get a set of castor bushes for less than 70 bucks (not sure on the quality).