Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Need.

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh Sle 4.2, ve SSZ z wagon
Hi folks it’s been awhile since I last visited. I am now on my third sle after some personal struggles which left me needing to clear out my other cars. I have since acquired a new vh but I am in desperate need of a new fuel tank. The previous owner ran the car on gas and gave no love to the fuel tank. I have tried many places around the state looking with no success. I am hopeful that some kind soul in here may be able to help me out in some way.

Thank you and hope to chat with you all soon.

Last edited:

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
If you are looking for brand new fuel tank good luck unlikely to be any left but I used to see quite a few used ones on eBay (you never know a NOS tank may show up one day...)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. try the Commodore wreckers in Roberna ST Moorabbin
they have a fair bit of early bird stuff

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
For what I spent on fuel tanks in my last vk it went thru 3 or 4 of them I may as well of bite the bullet and had 1 made . I brought 2 rusty tanks that didn't look too bad when I brought them they both rusted out with in a year. Was bleed dry for everyone of them $500 the greedy wrecker charged me for the last one all of them with a concrete warranty. What ever the latest tank that will fit in if you change the straps Id be using. It will be hard to find a tank worth using was my experience 5 or 6 years ago .

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Yeah maybe that's the way to go and have one made at those sort of used prices (wtf!!) I have never had to replace one (fortunately..) and go larger while you are at it 50ltrs is too small IMO for a thirsty old V8....

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanx guys. Finding that what is available for vb-vh is worth a small fortune compared to rocking upto the wreckers and grabbing any tank upto vs. only issue with doing that is using the sender that goes with the different tank and then calibrating the fuel gauge to suit. Just have to keep checking the classifieds. Thanks for all the thoughts

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Get an aluminium drop tank made, (Aussie sellers on eBay) take in your sender & they should be able to make it all work. approx. $1200.00 - $1500.00 (do it once & do it right) Bolt in.

Good luck!

jcvhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks everyone. Got myself a tank from a vb. Got a vs tank aswell but will get the original sender unit mounting welded into it. Cheers

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Thanks everyone. Got myself a tank from a vb. Got a vs tank aswell but will get the original sender unit mounting welded into it. Cheers
How does one weld the ring in with out burning the gal coating off the inside of the tank or what do you paint over the weld? just curious as I'm thinking about doing something similar