Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help needed, front spring rubbing since strut top replacement.

Matt02SS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS + VY exec + Vs wagon
Hi all, i recently had my strut tops replaced on my daily VY exec, and ever since iv'e had a rubbing noise coming from both sides when turning, i had a mate take a look while i turned the wheel and he said it was the spring moving when turning, iv'e taken the struts out to find this. Looks like under weight its compressing the top coil onto the the one below. Anyone have any idea what might be happening? Its only started since the strut tops were done, and they are both making the same noise and its really annoying and embarrassing in car parks..

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Make sure the bearing hasn't come apart during assembly, very easy to do if not kept square.
Also hard to check because they usually come apart when disassemmbling.
Normally once the whole lot is together you should be able to turn the top strut mount around reasonably easily.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
That's a weird one. What kind of springs are they? Brand and part number? Lowered? Rising rate? Are you running a lot of camber? Ill just have a stab, are they on the right side of the car and the right way up?

Matt02SS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS + VY exec + Vs wagon
Yea they are a lovells lowered spring, they were done one side at a time and i don't think the spring ever actually left the strut.. Might have to take them completely apart and check the bearings..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Check that the springs are fitted the right way up...Some springs are different at each end.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
It should not matter whether spring coils bind because once all together every thing between the top plate and strut is locked solid with only the strut top mount moving which is why I'd be looking at the bearing.
To replace the top mount you need to dismantle the top section of the strut which means realigning the spring with the top plate centreing the bearing and putting the top mount and nut back on, the whole time the bearing can go out of square.

comm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
hello i have a vt and i just had all brand new parts put into my front end and doing that bind no one can tell me why can some one help please