Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help needed - fuel filter maybe??

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
I travel over an hour to work in my VS ute.
I have a sedan also, but have never had this problem.

On the way to work, it stalled for a moment when I was nearly stopped and I just put it in N (auto) and started it again no probs.

On the way home it stopped and wouldnt start again. It fired fine and would start for half a second before choking out. Tried it a hundred times over an hour or so.
I was in the Burnley Tunnel!
I got towed all the way home to Geelong for free and later that night when I lifted the hood to check it out, the engine started fine.

Originally thought it was fuel pump, but now not so sure.

Perhaps something stuck in the fuel filter that settled? Something dirty in the fuel line?

Unsure what to do, as I don't want to just drive it and get stuck again...

First post, would really appreciate any help.
Off to get a filter for starters as I need it back in action ASAP.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Calais V8
I travel over an hour to work in my VS ute.
I have a sedan also, but have never had this problem.

On the way to work, it stalled for a moment when I was nearly stopped and I just put it in N (auto) and started it again no probs.

On the way home it stopped and wouldnt start again. It fired fine and would start for half a second before choking out. Tried it a hundred times over an hour or so.
I was in the Burnley Tunnel!
I got towed all the way home to Geelong for free and later that night when I lifted the hood to check it out, the engine started fine.

Originally thought it was fuel pump, but now not so sure.

Perhaps something stuck in the fuel filter that settled? Something dirty in the fuel line?

Unsure what to do, as I don't want to just drive it and get stuck again...

First post, would really appreciate any help.
Off to get a filter for starters as I need it back in action ASAP.

Well, if or rather when it does it again, quickly get out of the car and through the open window reach in and turn the ignition to ON but don't start the car. You should clearly hear the fuel pump start and run for about 3 secs, then it will stop. It will do that every time going from ignition OFF to ON. If you don't hear the pump start then its cactus or intermittent in operation. I guess if youre stuck in a noisy tunnel this advice is totaly useless right?:whistling

My VR behaved in a similar way. It stopped and would not start again, but half an our later it started [after calling a tow truck and $150 later:bang:] and ran fine for about 4 months. Then last month it simply wouldn't start at all, and that's when I did the above test and realised the fuel pump was dead.

Hope its not your'e fuel pump as it was a bit of a cow to remove, but at least a new one from Repco is only cost about $100.:yeah:

Good luck.

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
Well, I was just on the way to repco to get a filter and it happened again.

Lucky my sister lived around the corner, now its stuck there for a bit...

I doubt a filter could be so dramatic, I'm guess its the pump on the way out now.
Damn.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if it does it when warm but can restart it when it cools down probably the crank angle sensor (CAS) its behind the bottom engine pully.when it stops through some cold water over the cas and see if it starts again.or like above could be the pump on its way out.

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Similar thing happened to me. Engine would cut out but could be restarted without problem. It only happened two or 3 times. It was a faulty CAS. Cost $345 in 2006 (CAS - $54, Harmonic balancer - $110, Front seal - $14, Drive belt - $16, Labour - $120, GST - $31). If the CAS is your problem, you would not necessarily have to replace the balancer, seal or drive belt.

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
I just went back a restarted it before, I hope it isnt the CAS. Damn again.

I am thinking it is fuel pump though...hopefully. Because I couldn't hear it turn on and it wouldn't start, then when I turned the ignition later I heard the fuel pump and it started.

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
if it does it when warm but can restart it when it cools down probably the crank angle sensor (CAS) its behind the bottom engine pully.when it stops through some cold water over the cas and see if it starts again.or like above could be the pump on its way out.

I only drove for less than five min, do you think that's long enough for it to heat up??

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
was the pump still priming when you turned the ignition on after it had stopped if not try bashing the bottom of the fuel tank and see if it goes again.

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
Also, I got 12 on the diagnostic check, so that's all good.