Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Needed Holden SSV Rims Split ?

tankengine2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi Guys, just after some advice or knowledge with my scenario... to cut a long story short we sold our SSV to a family member any way had to get the RWC we needed to replace 1 SSV Rim... instead of purchasing a new one off Holden for $495 I found a set of 5 VE series 2 SS Thunder rims with 4 new tyres and 1 Rim was tyre less, so went and Purcahesd these rims and tyres.... one of these had a slight buckle so my mechanic took it to the tyre shop and swapped the tyre on slightly buckled rim to the good spare rim, car past the RWC, the guy who did the RWC was another mechanic shop, no issues car had to get a wheel alignment as well and some front end bushes, that was 7 days ago, family member rings up today upset as he has a flat tyre and apparently the rim is split ? My issue is surely my Mechanic, the other Mechanic, and the tyre shop that put the tyre on the rim surely would of noticed a split rim.... and family member is denying he hit a pot hole.... or knocked the wheel, apparently he said he noticed car pulling to the left yesterday and got to work this morning and tyre is flat.... I think me may of got a puncture and driven on rim and damaged it what's people's thoughts? As there's no way The car RWC would of passed especially after the original wheel that needed replacing only had a slight buckle so there's no way RWC bloke would of missed a split rim?

Thoughts opinions

tankengine2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
it passed the RWC, 7 days ago tomorrow, and you would of thought the tyre shop would of noticed it not holding air when they changed the tyre to the rim ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
it passed the RWC, 7 days ago tomorrow, and you would of thought the tyre shop would of noticed it not holding air when they changed the tyre to the rim ?

If it held air for how ever many days then no they wouldn't have. If you drove it away from the mech and you didn't notice it either then how would they have noticed it? They don't inspect the rims, they just fit the tyre and if it inflates and stays inflated then it's good to go.

How big of a leak are we talking here? Have you tried inflating it again to see if it's a slow leak that might take a few days to deflate or if it dumps all the air at once? Any new damage?

The only thing that would really fit your scenario is some tony hairline fracture and a slow leak.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As a fitter, it can be very difficult to spot a slight crack in a rim, as it could be covered up by road grime..Sometimes we need to inspect them up close to even find them, when an airleak is present. So it is possible the crack was there to begin with, but not easily identified, due to it's size and/or lack of noise due to escaping air...

Even though the family member may not have hit a pot hole or alikes, it doesn't take much to damage the inside area of these rims.....There is no support on the inside of these rims and the sidewall area of these tyres is very narrow, there fore all it takes it driving on nasty road surfaces and/or a slight drop in air pressure and you end up with a cracked rim.

Personally, I'd discuss with the family member about getting the original rim re-rolled, to remove the buckle (providing it isn't to bad) or repairing the "cracked rim" and which way you could sort out the pricing amongst yourselves to have either rim repaired.