Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Help Needed] Holden VN Wagon Over heating!

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
Hello,
Very scared this will happen again, so please shoot any ideas at me of what it could be..thanks...sooo... i took the car out on the freeway and the temperature gauge went right up to the red, so we stopped on the side of the road and turned the car off. (i'm aware of head gasket). We then opened the bonnet and my dad pulled out the connection to the fan out a little bit and then drove off slowly to the next super cheap (that's where we were going in the first place xD) so we put the bottle of coolant in and then drove home and it seems alright, (the temp was showing normal now) except now we are to scared to drive it again! If this happens again what could be the problem? In case it's the thermo i have a new one spare. Also my dad changed my cigy lighter since myn wasn't working, and when he turned the car on it made a sound? could it of blown one of the fuses? We changed one after that but i can't remember
Thank you

holden1914

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Hello,
Very scared this will happen again, so please shoot any ideas at me of what it could be..thanks...sooo... i took the car out on the freeway and the temperature gauge went right up to the red, so we stopped on the side of the road and turned the car off. (i'm aware of head gasket). We then opened the bonnet and my dad pulled out the connection to the fan out a little bit and then drove off slowly to the next super cheap (that's where we were going in the first place xD) so we put the bottle of coolant in and then drove home and it seems alright, (the temp was showing normal now) except now we are to scared to drive it again! If this happens again what could be the problem? In case it's the thermo i have a new one spare. Also my dad changed my cigy lighter since myn wasn't working, and when he turned the car on it made a sound? could it of blown one of the fuses? We changed one after that but i can't remember
Thank you

Fill the radiator up full with water, start the car , rev it and see if the water moves, if it doesn't then its most likely a water pump, if the water bubbles, its most likely a cracked head. If you've got problems with a thermo fan and electronics, its probably best just to get a standard plastic fan instead of thermo. Don't get a metal one they are loud.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
what's with everyone having cooling problems lately?!

so we put the bottle of coolant in and then drove home and it seems alright

where did you put the coolant? into the radiator? if so, that's why your car was overheating, because it had nothing in there. otherwise i'd be checking your thermostat. if you were at freeway speeds this should have had sufficient air flow to cool your radiator without the thermo fan (providing you had coolant in the radiator).

CoMrAdE MaRx23

CoMrAdE MaRx23
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 1995
Hmm. if it over heated on the hiway I doubt it waz cooling fan. because of the low revs and air flow by doin 100kms. To check your thermo fan look under the hood and find your relay/fuse box take out the thermo relay and use some speaker wire to arch out the terminals(with the ignition on) if your fan turns on Its fine it still could be the relay thow. next is make sure you bleed all the air out of the cooling system. park it slightly on an incline and run your car till your temp gauge reads almost half way. ehat your trying to acheive is getting the thermostat to open. to check that its open feel the temp of your bottom radiator hose to see if its as hot as the top one. when they are both hot turn on your heater and then open the bleed screw a little. leave it open till its relesing streight coolent and no air. that should do the trick. any more problems just leave me a message

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
what's with everyone having cooling problems lately?!

where did you put the coolant? into the radiator? if so, that's why your car was overheating, because it had nothing in there. otherwise i'd be checking your thermostat. if you were at freeway speeds this should have had sufficient air flow to cool your radiator without the thermo fan (providing you had coolant in the radiator).

Thank you very much for your help!

Hmm. if it over heated on the hiway I doubt it waz cooling fan. because of the low revs and air flow by doin 100kms. To check your thermo fan look under the hood and find your relay/fuse box take out the thermo relay and use some speaker wire to arch out the terminals(with the ignition on) if your fan turns on Its fine it still could be the relay thow. next is make sure you bleed all the air out of the cooling system. park it slightly on an incline and run your car till your temp gauge reads almost half way. ehat your trying to acheive is getting the thermostat to open. to check that its open feel the temp of your bottom radiator hose to see if its as hot as the top one. when they are both hot turn on your heater and then open the bleed screw a little. leave it open till its relesing streight coolent and no air. that should do the trick. any more problems just leave me a message

Thank you very much for your help, will try this tomorrow and if i have any problems will message you.
Thanks

Greedy

Greedy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Areo
in my areo the i have set the thermo to stay off untill it hits just under 3 bars on the temp gauge never had a problem with over heating. But on some models the radiator house outlet that the thermostat sits under has a air release bolt to help release the air pressure. If you dont do this when you fill up the radiator the engine could over heat as there are air pockets in the cooling system. I dont know if this will help or not but id check to see if you have this problem.