Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Needed With My Ve Omega

Toolie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey guys I just thought I’d throw a question out there as I’m in need of some help, when I have time I will be taking photos and posting them if further help is needed.

okay so a couple of months ago me and my partner got a 2009 VE Omega
It’s actually an ex detectives car which comes with the duel battery and obviously it would’ve had lights and wiring for them ect, now today I was at tradeschool and my teacher got us to do a full battery test and check cells ect so as normal removed the negative terminal then positive to remove the battery (this is the normal battery not the added police one), anyways I did the battery test what was needed to be done, chucked the battery back in and stabilised it, connected it and started fine was about to move it when I realised there was no dash lights, no clock light no revs ect, tried driving it and the speedometer worked fine, when turning the lights off auto and into manual mode it lit up the centre bit of the cluster (where you can change dash setting ect) but it only lit up whilst lights where on, where as normally it would be lightly lit up but still seeable on auto, and the light behind the speedometer also comes on while on manual lights on, but the tachometer, heat gauge, fuel gauge and radio where all not working one bit, even the lights behind them... I could change the radio station ect and all that worked with sound, and the dash icon also work (engine lights handbrake ect...) and when using indicators you cannot hear the click sound, but they would flash on the dash, but nothing else works, the clock doesn’t even show up where the radio stations ect are meant to, ive tried multiple things whilst searching online, tried a mechanic and a scan tool (even the system check doesn’t show up...) and I’ve also tried going into engineering mode in the dash and I did the cluster test and all the lights show up and the heat gauge fuel gauge needles turned up so they’re all in working condition and you can even see the revs in one of these settings digitally, (checked all fuses but obviously it’s not a fuse) but when out of test mode it all goes back dark and not working except speedometer and the dash control when lights are in on position.

Anyways any ideas would really help me out I’ve only tried a couple things (currently leaving the battery’s disconnect overnight) and I’ve tried a couple ideas that resets the ecu or ecm, but nothing has been a positive yet,
I apologise for any spelling errors or me wording anything wrong as I don’t know what everything is correctly called haha.

Thank you all so much for taking the time out of your days to read this and any feedback would be great, I’m hoping it’s not a major issue but I’m highly assuming the computer hasn’t reset properly possibly due to the police side of things? Anyways thanks again guys :) !!!

Toolie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Try holding in both buttons above the headlight switch.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...night-mode-how-to-escape.181525/#post-2026214

Or there may be a button near the sunglasses holder
Hey mate thanks heaps for the suggestion yes I’ve tried that multiple times also tried pressing the long button near the sunglasses holder and nothing at all, tried it both holding for a certain amount of time and quickly, I’ll still work on the issue and try different things but thanks heaps for taking the time out to reply!!

Toolie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Here are a couple of photos.
In one of them it shows the lights for the shifter and the windows ect but non on the radio (these only come on whilst the headlights are in the on position not auto and at night time.)

In the other two it shows while the lights are in the on position showing the middle settings area (speed) and super bright, and the other is when I have the lights on auto, again it is night time as you can tell.

hope the photos are enough to show just a little bit! Cheers!

Attachments

• A8D18056-BC8D-4EC1-9B9F-9BA03024567C.jpeg
    A8D18056-BC8D-4EC1-9B9F-9BA03024567C.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 183
  • E07FA271-1C1F-4ED7-A6E6-24F3FFF6DCCB.jpeg
    E07FA271-1C1F-4ED7-A6E6-24F3FFF6DCCB.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 4164D23F-C1B9-4060-8DE7-A4ADB51B6104.jpeg
    4164D23F-C1B9-4060-8DE7-A4ADB51B6104.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 160

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I was at tradeschool and my teacher got us to do a full battery test
Get the school to pay to have it fixed, they shouldn't be using your vehicles to do training.
When you removed one of the batteries you didn't allow the terminals to touch the metal, thinking it may be your battery fuse.

Toolie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Get the school to pay to have it fixed, they shouldn't be using your vehicles to do training.
When you removed one of the batteries you didn't allow the terminals to touch the metal, thinking it may be your battery fuse.

Hey mate thanks heaps for taking time out to reply,
No I didn’t let any of it touch the metal it was all done (to my knowledge) properly and seems to start and run ect but I could definitely check that!
In one of the threads I’ve read this guy had an exact same problem and he waited it out a couple days and it come good, but I don’t see how doing nothing can fix it but if I can’t find a fix I’m sure I’ll be driving it as it sits for a while...
And if i can’t seem to fix the problem or have it fixed at a next to nothing cost I might look towards them paying for it, least they can do is offer to fix it in my opinion... and I didn’t really want to take it out as I was worried their could be an issue to begin with, should’ve just said I didn’t bring my car...

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hey mate thanks heaps for taking time out to reply,
No I didn’t let any of it touch the metal it was all done (to my knowledge) properly and seems to start and run ect but I could definitely check that!
In one of the threads I’ve read this guy had an exact same problem and he waited it out a couple days and it come good, but I don’t see how doing nothing can fix it but if I can’t find a fix I’m sure I’ll be driving it as it sits for a while...
And if i can’t seem to fix the problem or have it fixed at a next to nothing cost I might look towards them paying for it, least they can do is offer to fix it in my opinion... and I didn’t really want to take it out as I was worried their could be an issue to begin with, should’ve just said I didn’t bring my car...
Yip seen plenty of people experiencing issues with VE when removing battery on this forum, Maybe try another reset taking both batteries off and waiting till all the power is gone, you can do that by putting lights on beeping the horn and foot on brake to remove any charge left in the capacitors. Then reconnect the batteries. Being a x cop car I think one battery was for the auxiliary lights.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The pics in post #4 looks like it's in 'Police Mode'?

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
Hey mate thanks heaps for the suggestion yes I’ve tried that multiple times also tried pressing the long button near the sunglasses holder and nothing at all, tried it both holding for a certain amount of time and quickly, I’ll still work on the issue and try different things but thanks heaps for taking the time out to reply!!
Have you tried this when the car is on and perhaps even the lights on.

As someone else suggested, I would remove both batteries, remove any residual power by opening the door and using the lights and horn then try reconnecting only the main battery