Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help needed!!

Jinxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
Hi people, I'm transferring the 5.0l motor, box and tailshaft from my VN Berlina and putting it into my VP SS. I'm not 100% sure as to everything I need to do to swap everything over. Would greatly appreciate any useful help and hints. My main concern is the wiring and ECU. Will I need to take the loom out of the VN and put it in the VP?

Please help a fellow Holden enthusiast.

Here is a pic of the VN Berlina and the VP SS.

Attachments

• vnberlina.jpg
    vnberlina.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 207
  • vpss.jpg
    vpss.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 213

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
so you swapping a vn 5 liter into a vp that use to have a 5 litre (vp ss)? should have everything you need... even the k-frame should be the same...

Jinxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
Thanks heaps man. I heard some where that the ECU plug wiring was different but wasn't sure. Just wanted some clarification. :idea3:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
if your not 100% sure just swap everything over from the donor car, engine loom, ecu, ect.... make a list of what you need if you want to do it in one hit too. get a full heater hose and radiator hose kit with new clamps and heater tap, freshen all that stuff up. nothing is worse than getting the swap all done and having all the hoses leaking from the clapped out clamps and rotten bloated hoses when you get the car up to temperature. when the engine is out clean up some of the bolt ons, take off the throttle body, clean it out. maybe do some top end gaskets, inlet manifold, stuff like that. new extension housing seal for the transmission... reco your injectors with new filter baskets and o-rings. could go on and on...

Jinxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
yeah I was going to do all the bottom end seals. the motor needs a good degrease. a intake manifold gasket. im not sure how in depth im gonna go. I have to move soon so atm I just want the motor etc. in the VP SS so I can get rid of the donor car. do I have to make sure the tailshaft goes on the same way or are they proper balanced. im a bit nervous about the whole procedure but im confidant that I can do it.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
just dont get rid of the donor car till everything with the SS is squared away and running.

Jinxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
kk. I've labelled everything (wiring, cables, hoses etc.) with masking tape n pen from where I got it from n where it goes. the VN has a bit of modded wiring. mostly from the ignition to the starter motor. im thinking I may need to swap the wiring aswell but im hoping not. hence why this thread. i'll take some pics tomoro of the wiring im talking about n you can tell me what you think... if you don't mind :)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
"modded wiring" yikes...

if the SS still has the loom portion with the bank of fuses intact (driverside dash to engine bay loom) you should be good to go. just swap over the donor ecu and engine loom to the passenger footwell. the only thing youll have to be mindful of is the anti theft override lock in the passenger side door jamb of the SS. make sure its in the off position when running through startup process, if its on and you dont have the keyless entry remote it can shut the fuel pump off. if its on and you dont have the key for the doorjamb youll have to bypass it.

also if its your first time take lots of pics. (no homo) it can really save the day..

Jinxer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
sorry I haven't posted up the pics yet... been crook. the SS doesn't have keyless entry only the key entry. does that still mean it will have the anti theft thingy? yeah I will be taking pics when I start the transfer this weekend... hopefully all goes smoothly.