Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help needed

sinfulvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vh commodore SLX
ok my vh commodore is becoming a nightmare on the electrical side of things lets start with what has been done to rectify the problem.
1. brand new alternator fitted
2. brand new starter motor
3. brand new coil
4. engine bay fully rewired professionally by auto elect
5. radio also reinstalled by auto elect
now what is happening is my battery seems to still be draining after all this is done

now some off the things happening
blinkers only seem to be working some of the time
fuel gauge isnt working
hard to start hazards arn't working and the car sometimes won't start when it gets hot it is really starting to confuse me cause when i stick the battery charger on it it says its fully charged

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
won't start in what way?
Does it crank?
Does it attempt to crank?
Does it crank all day long and just never start?

sinfulvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vh commodore SLX
it sounds like a flat battery you turn the key on and off a few times to make it start

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
check main connector near the firewall especially the 3 terminal plug with the red ,violet and tan wires they get a bad connection and play up...also the earth near the left hand headlight is it a good connection?

sinfulvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vh commodore SLX
yep new earth leads have been fitted but will have a look at that plug its damn bloody frustrating

sinfulvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vh commodore SLX
nope cleaned that plug and its still going flat its really doing my head in i've run out of ideas even installed a new ignition into it

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
whats the voltage across the battery terminals before it starts then while its running? (check the brand new alternator working)
the boot or glovebox light isn't on all the time?
do you have a meter to measure dc current? with the key off how much current is being drawn should be less than .3 or an amp (bit of a guess there but not much) if its more start pulling fuses till you find whats using the power with the key off.

sinfulvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vh commodore SLX
its less then .3 when key is off and auto elect checked the current with car off and also with the car running at different rpms and it was all in a good range well above the 12volts which is why its got me stumped as to why it keeps doing it and the other thing it will drain the battery quicker when headlights are turned on

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
its less then .3 when key is off and auto elect checked the current with car off and also with the car running at different rpms and it was all in a good range well above the 12volts which is why its got me stumped as to why it keeps doing it and the other thing it will drain the battery quicker when headlights are turned on

Pretty sure if its showing 12 volt it's flat, should be up closer to 13 ( with car off) have you got a hydrometer to check the cells? Sounds a lot like a dodgy battery that's not holding a charge.
I got no ideas why it would drain the battery faster if the headlights are on, just wondering is it draining it even quicker if your high beams are on?

sinfulvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vh commodore SLX
yes it drains even quicker with high beams on its really annoying so much money has been spent to rectify the problem yet its still doing it