Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help nic design a new sub box

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
my friend finally got back to me and said

[email protected] ;) so it'll work out to about 6.9@32hz with the sub in. Is the the tune you want? Theoretically going from 32hz tune to a 35hz tune gives a peak of 2db higher around 40hz. Or Tuning 37hz gives a 3ish db gain around the same area. Upto to you though. The 32hz tune has a dead flat response down to 35hz where as the other 2 peak @40hz like I said.

now i just need to decide

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
If you want sound quality, aim for dead flat. If you want loud beats, go for a peaked response.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Sounds good, what thickness of MDF are you using?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Have you taken the volume displacement of the added thickness and bracing into account of the internal volume?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
If it were me I would be going with something thicker than 25mm, even though you have bracing for a sub of this size it will be pushing a lot of air, I would go something a little bit thicker. Are you going to seal the inside with polyester resin? Will only cost maybe $15 for 1kg which would do a great job of sealing everything. Be sure to put the box together with MDF glue also or proper wood glue (Selley's aquadhere) Not Liquid nails or any construction adhesive, the MDF glue soaks into the MDF making a very strong join, rather than the Liquid nails which just sits on top of the MDF

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
yeah but last time i wanted thicker wood like 1inch for example, they had to order it in and would cost like $100 for postage or something. unless theres another place to buy wood from? other than bunnings hehe, also thicker wood, would take up more boot space/volume, if i were to use thicker wood, i guess i could just fit it in the boot.

what if i get half an inch wood and seal 2 peices of wood together to get 1inch thick for the whole box?

i have never heard of polyester resin and since it will cost under $20 i might aswell do it

thanks for the glue tip :)

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
i finally have the final design here, so it ended up as [email protected] and after displacement it is around 6.8cuft and tuning is just under 32hz

so watcha think?

Attachments

• 6.8cf @ 32hz 2.jpg
    6.8cf @ 32hz 2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 892
  • 6.8cf @ 32hz 3.jpg
    6.8cf @ 32hz 3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 604
  • 6.8cf @ 32hz.jpg
    6.8cf @ 32hz.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 485