Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[HELP] Nice sounding System on a Budget

Juztin

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE Auto
Hey guys I general look over the forums but I rarely post, but doesn't mean you should ignore me hahaha :thumbsup:

Anyways

Just got a Holden VT for Birthday and I have a bit of cash left to spend on Mods, First off I thought a Sound system as it seems to be what most people do in this day and age.
--------------------------------------------------
Just say my budget was roughly $1,000 - $1,500 even less if possible I know the quality depends on the price range but if it can sound good and cost less Bonus :dance::dance:

Am I correct in saying I'd need

A Head Unit
A Woofer
An Amp
*Front and Back Speakers

*But with the speakers I'm lost on as my mate has back speakers and thats it.

But browsing through the forums I found that front ones should have priority or something along those lines
----------------------------------------

Best brand names?
Pioneer
Xplode
JVC

Any possible direction on what ones to get?
----------------------------------------

And if anyone could maybe put up what they got for around my price range would be sweet as.

Cheers guys

Expect to see me around a bit more :devil::devil:

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
shop arround for the best deals.

strathfield car sound are good to bargain with.

I got my sub, box n amp (600w 4ch rockstarfosqate amp, 1000w 12" xplod sub and the smallest box that would fit it..)
for 149.00 all up from strathfield.

my head unit, rear 380w panasonic 6x9's and frount 6" clarions were bought from autobarn on sale. cost me 130 for the unit (worth 239) and 60 for the speakers.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
For that sort of budget you would be looking at:

Headunit - $200 (Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine etc)
Front Speakers - $300 (Alpine Type Rs, Maybe Boston / MB Quart)
Rear Speakers - $50 (Whatever, dosent matter really)
Subwoofer + Box - $200 (Any number of well known brands)
Amplifier - $300 (4ch. front outputs to front speakers, rear bridged to subwoofer, something like the Response AA-0426 will suit you nicely)

Thats around $1000 not including installation or wiring, which im sure if you bought all the components from the same store you would get a good deal on installation and wiring.

You'll probably notice ive put more $$$ into the front stage and amplifier, this is because the fronts are what you'll be hearing, and your front seat passenger. Also the amplifier which is basically the lifeblood of your system (more so in this case) so you dont wanna skimp on that. Basically the headunit dosent have to be that flash, something with sub preouts and level control would be ideal, unless you have any special requirements (ipod / usb etc). Rears you could leave as stock if you wanted to, but an upgrade to a set of half-decent 2 way 6"s would be the furthest i would go there.

Either way, thses days $1000-$1500 will get you a very good system, and i wouldnt be going with brands that arent well known and respected.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Id go with holden boy's break down except leave the rears stock and spend the extra 50 on the fronts, or on wiring if you havent factored that in.

Also, I'd recommend looking for a second hand amp or head unit, even if you get last year's models you can save heaps. Plenty of Jaycar 4x100s pop up all the time around $150.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep the only reason why i suggest brand new gear is warranty....if you had only $600 or so to spend i would say go second hand to get the best brands for your dollar, but you do take a risk with that.

Yeah if you can pick up last years model of whatever component you need thats ideal.

Juztin

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE Auto
Yeah thanks for that mate.

I'll put up another post when I narrow the parts down and see what ya's think about it.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
yeah thats a good idea....and put up the prices too ;)