Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help, no power (electrical)

meathook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS SERIES 2
G'Day guys, I was driving yesterday and all of a sudden I lost all electrical power to my car. I had no steering, no brakes nothing.

I got it pulled over, turned off the ignition, turned it on again and nothing. I then noticed that even the digital readout for my odometer was off. I had to get it towed back home and am now in a bit of a quandry because I can't see anything wrong. The battery and alternator are 3 months brand new, there were no loose wires including the earth wires. All of the fuses are intact.

I am resigned to ringing the auto sparky tomorrow, but I thought I would throw it up here incase it has happened to someone else.

Sorry the car is a 2000 VTII SS.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
It might be a little different but I had similar the other day with my 97 vs II, check when your key is turned that it is clicking back slightly after it starts. Mine wasn't and I had no indicators, no radio, no windscreen wipers etc, when I got home I stressed, turned it on and no troubles, next time I drove it it happened again, as I started turning the car off, my radio clicked on, then I realised it was stuck forward that little too far. May not be but worth a try

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
or maybe check the main fuse. Do you have any power to the headlights?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
is interior light working?
does boot light work
what are connections at back of alternator like

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I see you said that you checked the fuses, but have you also checked the fusible links as well? Failing that, it sounds like your alternator is not charging the battery and you have really flattened the battery (I know you said that alternator and battery were quite new). If the fusible links are OK, the next step would be to use jumper leads to see if you can start the car.

meathook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS SERIES 2
No I havent checked the fusible links yet. The battery was cooked, no charge whatsoever, when we hooked up the jump box the
terminals started smoking so we stopped that straight away.
I bought a new battery and as I was hooking it up it started arcing out when I tried to put the negetive cable on.

The plug and cables at the back of tje alternator are okay.

Roars666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II 5.7 SS........VE V6 07 CALAIS
Try the main power cable at the back of the alternator, same thing happened to me last week.

neephius

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M A4
is interior light working?
does boot light work
what are connections at back of alternator like
I have the same problem and now I can start the car but no interior light ??.

Kenneth91

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vt calais
I have the same problem no interior light dash don’t light up when put headlights on no power to electric windows and central door locking