Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP, No Rev's Car Dies...

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
hmmm does the V8 have coilpacks like the V6??? I though they ran a different system? but im probably wrong.

kopper69, i rechecked for the codes and it gave 10x code 12's :( trust me i wish it gave me a code so i could pin point the problem :(

Last edited:

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
No the V8s dont have coil packs, they have a conventional distributor.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
so no dfi module then???

No DFI module on the V8. Have you had a look at your ignition coil, located on the passenger side strut tower, or just near there. It's the silver box like thing from memory. Perhaps this could be shot?

vsMick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
electrical problems = holden dealership
however
holden dealership = -$$$

-$$$ = :(

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
how high are the revs b4 it stalls?? my car had a similar prob.. i fully had a panic attack then realised my brother had decided to make it so my car idled borderline stall constantly.. which naturally led 2 constant stalling..
that prolly wont help with the fuse bit.. but maybe mite help with the stalling??
guess what im saying is, adjust the thingy(4get what its called) so ur car naturally revs higher..

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
yeah thats what im worried about... the cost as im currently unemployed and on the dole. and i need my car for interviews :(

stylin_vr2:
i drove it to an interview and it was sweet, not missing a beat and then when i came out like 2 hours later it all went down hill and these problems happened.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
#1 do spark plugs and leads, if you haven't recently (last 5-10,000kms)
#2 do you get engine light at any stage?
#3 make sure you done plugs and leads
#4 check for any vacuum leaks, check all the hoses coming off the intake manifold are going somewhere, and that they are all plugged in
#5 extension of number 4, make sure the map sensor plug is plugged in and all those goodies
#6 if none of the above help, take out the IAC and give it a clean and a wiggle and make sure it is servicable, or try another one that you pinched from the wreckers...
#7 while you're taking out the IAC you might as well check the throttle position sensor - and by 'check' i mean 'pinch from the wreckers'.
#8 pull your spark plugs out and see what they look like? if you did step 1 and 3 then you shouldn't see crazy black deposits on their tips....
#9 if none of the above work then come back and let us know!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I go with VP_LUKE, clean the Throttle Body and IAC valve and reset the idle. check plug condition, check for vacuum leaks etc. what condition is the distributer cap/ rotor in and the leads etc. check the base timing (in diagnostic mode i believe). going a little left field here but what is the battery condition and alternator output? should be 13.5 - 14 volts idle, no load etc. solve the idle issue first, then the reverse issue as they don't sound related