Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP, No Rev's Car Dies...

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
Well i have posted the first bit of this problem on here before and no one really knows whats causing it... ( 2 auto elec's as well) but it has just got alot worse....
:bang:
I was parked on a hill facing down and i went to reverse my car out, and when i did this, obviously when reversing up a hill there is more rev's and with this my car sometimes has a hissy fit and blows the 20A engine control management fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet... well this happened like 10 times. i almost put my fist through the drivers side window....end first part..
start second part.
then when i eventually got it out of the parking spot and i popped it into drive the rev's dropped and the car stalled. i started it backup and bang same thing again this continued all the way home ....
SO i had to drive 30kms with my left foot on the brake when i came to a stop and my right foot on the accelerator giving it around 1500RPM....
WTF is causing this.....
Please help me.....
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

vsMick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
"i started it backup and bang same thing again this continued all the way home ...."

When you say "same thing again" do you mean the car stalled again?

i dont know much about cars but i had a problem where when i would slow the car down, ie: a red light or stop sign the car would stall.

i eventually got the car started again and it either immediantly stalled or stalled at the next red/stop.

racv had no idea what the problem was except "a possible electrical problem"

turns out it was the cars dfi module. the connector to the dfi module was loose so that was fixed, same problem two weeks later, the dfi cable had failed, three weeks later and the dfi module itself had failed.

these three problems were all fixed and no worries.

however, talking to one of the racv guys he said one of the first things they check on these cars for problems like this is the dfi module, so im sure your electrical friends would have picked up on this if this is the case.

your problem sounds very familar to mine though as i was also able to prevent the car stalling by keeping the revs high. Eventually my problem got so bad i had to be towed (yay).

im unsure if this helps but goodluck.

(btw: i didnt blow any fuses or damage relays (unlike you) but the dfi cable failed in respect that the insulation on the wire was worn and was shorting in a few areas (mainly on the nut that is used to hold in the dfi module connector), something like that may cause fuses to blow, not very sure though, very hard problems to diagnose without the equipment)

vsMick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
if your having no luck and no one knows take the car to a registered holden dealer, they have the right equipment to diagnose these problems

ICUBYE

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the reply vsMick...
Where abouts is the DFI module so i can check to see if the wire is worn?

Yeah if i took my foot off the accelerator and the revs dropped the car would stall, hence me having to have my left foot planted hard on the brakes and my right on the accelerator on about 1500 - 2000rpm, and that chewed alot of fuel.

2 auto elec's have looked over my car in the past for the fuse blowing issue as it only happeneds in reverse with high rev's and they could not figure it out, cos me $100 at one place as they realligned my head lights and put in some higher powered globs but these started to turn the conections brown from the high heat and the higher current draw so i took them out.. the second place said it was to do with my alarm as it looked liek it was no stock, *as far as i know its factory / stock)....

I will check into the dfi module tho, where was it situated in the car and i should go and read my error codes altho i doubt i will have any...

Cheers

ICUBYE

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK i get a code 12 Systems pass.....

dunno wtf is going on....

when i checked for fault codes and had pins 5 and 6 shorted a fan kicked in under the bonnet, is this normal????

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Yeah the fan kicks on at low speed during diagnostics.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yea, fan coming on is normal. Make sure you are checking codes correctly. Code 12 will flash first, 3 times. You must wait for those to flash, and then the codes you are interested will pop up. If 12 comes up again, there are no errors logged on the system. If the car is stalling it should be throwing the error codes out at you. On the top of the engine, slightly on the passenger side, near the alternator, there are 3 coil packs - where all the spark plug leads go to. These coil packs sit on the DFI module. The module is the flat base that they on. The problem is that the dfi module is tied up closely with a number of other things. Primarily the Crank Angle Sensor (or CAS). The CAS is a common problem, and will do some weird things to your car, including causing it to stall. The cas is tied up with the DFI module, the coil packs and the ECU. So your coil packs could be playing up too. There is a large connector on the side of the dfi module. It is screwed on, so it shouldnt work its way loose, but you can give it a wiggle to make sure its sitting right. If it looks like there are any wires damaged, that could be your problem, but there isnt any reason why they would be. It is blowing fuses, so something is shorting out. You need a manual (book that is, not transmission) really. It will tell you how to check the coil packs and what to check. It also has wiring diagrams. With these you can see everything that runs through the 20A engine fuse and check each one. I will get my manual out tomorrow and go through it for you and list what is on that system and what to check.

vsMick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
(this is from memory) pop the bonnet, right hand (your right when popping the bonnet) side on top of the engine there will be three black cylinders with numbers (1,2) (3,4) (5,6) on them. Im pretty sure these are the coil packs and the thin black thing they plug into is the dfi module itself. The dfi cable to the module is located on the right hand side of the module. (its on an angle so its kind of underneath it). The connector is held in by i belive a 7mm nut in the centre of the connector. If you unscrew this (using a socket) and inspect the wires for insulation damage around where the nut would be you might find a problem. (the holden dealership fixed this by heatshrinking the damaged wires and placing a rubber grommet/cover over the dfi module nut).

The holden dealership varified there was a problem with the cable (originally identified by the racv technician) simply by starting the car and wiggling the cable. Because the car was at low revs (idle) it cut out (stalled).

However they said the same cable had another short somewhere else, im not sure where though.

hope this helps.