Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help on diff gears

sloth1198

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve series 2 SV6
I need some advice on how to change the diff oil in a vt Berlina....and what is the best oil to use

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
I need some advice on how to change the diff oil in a vt Berlina....and what is the best oil to use

Try having a search through all the threads here.. there are even a few 'how too's' which tell you how to do the whole job urself with the appropriate oils...

and then it all depends if you have an LSD or not.. If you have LSD you need to also buy a GMH LSD additive but as for the other oils, I think even your user manual wld have it in the spec sections.

Sorry for being frank, but I cant remember the oil weights atm, at uni and cant be to bothered looking around..

but just write 'diff oil change' in the search bar on the top of the forum.. will likely fix ur probz

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
we used the castrol diff/gear oil you can get from repco, bursons, autobahn, etc for a vt, like said above just got to work out if its lsd or not. castrol oil guide book at autobahn, etc will tell you exactly which to use or on the castrol website. Also price up the oil from holden, some times you find there the same price or sometimes holden is cheaper.

helicraze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Clubsport R8
I have 3.7s, wish i had gone 3.9s (had them in a V6), the 4.11s are too tall IMO i had them as well. All autos

mooseboost

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport Series II 5.7 6 Speed
I have a VXclubsport 6 speed. Standard diff gears in my car are 3.73. Fuel economy is not and issue. Best I've seen it do before I did cam etc was 8.5ltrs/100km. This was filling up at BP and doing the Cruise for Charity last year on the drive to Bundoora. After the hole trip to Heatcote, staying in Bendigo and driving around then back home it averaged 10.2ltrs/100km. Now with cam etc it still gets 9.4ltrs/100km on a trip with highway driving. So if you won't to living that big bitch up go 3.73 or 3.9's because you fuel economy will change #### all. You will need to get your ECU speedo setting modifed to accept new gears as your speedo will be out, so remeber to keep this in mind as an extra expence.

VX SS 340 HP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS LS1
I have a VX SS with 3.73s in it...it has been MAF less tuned made 340 HP at the wheels it sits on about 2500rpm at 110km with cruise control

Chrisvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SS
I went 3.73 in my vy ss auto sits just under 2500 at 110 with cruise on
fuel economy around 13.5 to 14.5 i do mainly suburbs but to and from work on western highway for 25 ks each way
kicks off the line beautifully, i would recommend GM Motorsport for the diff change because they also have the Software to reprogram speedo and gearbox that the Retards at local dealer dont.
If you dont reprogram your speedo it will be anywhere between 17 and 23 ks out depending on speed.

vuTobySS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS 5.7L LS1 2002
haha i got 6spd with the 4.11 and i sit on about 2k at 110km/h, my speedo on the other hand things im doing 130 (used a gps to work out my speeds)
I find that under 100km/h im 10km out on the spedo and over 100km is 20km+
Would love to get the spedo fixed tho :p