Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help on fixing peeling paint on radio buttons

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi guys

When I bought my car off Heartland Holden last year I noticed that most of their cars had the grey paint peeling on the buttons for the radio... on the AM/FM button etc.
Is there any way to fix/ replace this? It really bugs me because my car is otherwise immaculate inside. It's a VZ commy, executive.

The dealers were supposed to fix this but now they are backing out and of course I'm not surprised. They told me it would take around $20 to fix this, but now they are avoiding this repair like the plague and saying that no such promises were made by them to me.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
If they where saying they where going to fix it, keep pestering them about it & if they still wont do anything, tell them ill take this to consumer affairs.

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive

However, any ideas on how to fix/ replace myself or a person that does it?

Getting heartland holden to do something for me is like I asked them for a kidney or something... they run away faster than Usain Bolt.

Weekend Warrior

Waghoon
Reaction score
Website
www.streetwagons.com
Members Ride
Black VZ Wagon
the reason they most likely dont want to do it is because changing the buttons is a real mission. You can get them to come out, but you have to dis-assemble most of the unit to get to them, and then the thing is i don't think u are able to by the button seperate, or the whole face plate for that matter. So they will most likely have to actually replace the whole unit to fix the buttons, something costly hence why they don't want to do it!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
you cant buy the buttons seperately, although the face plate unscrews it cannot be bought seperately.

Only way to do it is to go to pick n payless when they have a VY come in, I managed to get hold of one that someone ripped the radio out of but left the face plate, and it was in new condition!

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
so u can replace just the whole plastic faceplate on top of the radio n cd player? Sounds like a goer

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
^^^^Yeah but only obtainable from a wreckers.

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
hmmm might be worth a shot. Thanks guys... is it simple to replace? Not that good a handyman actually. However will threaten heartland holden this friday before trying it out myself.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairly simple mate, you'll need some removal tools, which can be obtained at Holden or u can make ur own up.

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Paul thank you so much for the feedback champ. I see you're in Castle Hill? Very close by.