Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help on installing new head unit

baby-wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commdore 2000 olympic edition
heyy i have a VT commodore... it still has the origional cd player/stereo thing in it.

I want to replace it because if im listening to a cd, and skip forward or back a song the it skips a lot and ends up skipping back to the first song on the cd... SO ANNOYING!!

so i am looking at a Sony MP3/CD player... 52W x 4 Peak power output, front auxillary input, CD-R/RW/MP#/WMA playback, rear RCA output x 1
and its going for about $100 at the moment... is it a decent head unit? worth getting?

i dont have a subby or amp at the moment, but if in future i wanted to add one, would this be compatible? oh and the car still has the origianal speakers (to my knowledge) but i may be upgrading them soon too... so again, is this a suitable head unit to get?

also i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to install it... if i need to buy any additional parts / accessories... im not a car genious but i cant afford to pay someone to do it lol and i wouldnt mind knowing how to :)

thanks heaps in advance :)

forrest1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Omega
you just gotta get wire change thingo that suits your car from any AUTO shop than u wire that together with the head unit so it all clicks and done not hard to pull out the Stock H/U just get some wire that fits in the holes and poke it in there X4 and pull out head unit you will need to get a new facia for the gap that is left behind when new H/U is in same thing tho any AUTO shop get the one that suits your car!!

Last edited:

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
yeah dude, the wire change thinggo is called an ISO adapter plug, look on ebay for a VT/VX one.. And depending on if the Headunit is a single or double DIN radio, you might also need to buy one of them radio pockets to make it all look flush..

Dont really know how decent the headunit is without a model number, but sounds pretty sweet. Should work with your future subs..
But really if all your doing now is just swapping the headunit, the ISO plug and the Radio Pocket (If its a single DIN radio) should be all you need... Some say suggest the radio removal tools to help getting the radio out easier, but really a few pieces of fencing wire will rip it out!

So yeah man your stockie speakers will work with that, they will probably start distorting at about 40% of full volume, So you might wanna upgrade them sometime too!!!

Let us know how it goes!

jacksoncroucher

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
yea i used fencing wire and mine came strait out, places like autobahn offer to remove them for 10 bucks if you get stuck and dont want to break the existing head unit

theslippery1

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Commodore Executive
Check out the JVC KD-R416 Head unit $ 130-150 approx. has MP3,5V RCA Pre-outs 50W rms & the feature that won me front USB & Aux in has remote control (great when you're driving) especially if you have an 8 gig flash drive full of music.
Hope this helps.